Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet speed continuosly fluctuating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arko

arko

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

I live in Mumbai, India and I'm currently on a 4Mbps plan.

From past few days, I'm facing this huge problem in which my intenet is either not connecting or constantly fluctuating i.e. at 1 speedtest I'm getting speed like 3mbps, the very next speedtest in maybe 10-20 seconds difference I'm getting 500Kbps.

It has become very hard for me to use internet and especially during downloading, I'm able to download at idm getting constantly speeds between 200-500Kbps, but except idm nothing is being able to be constant or atleast reach anywhere above average speeds.

The android downloads in uc browser shows download speed like in a second 150kbps, the next second 20, then 3, then suddenly 200, then 10, it goes on like this until it suddenly stops, the download never completes.

I'm having arguments over this with my ISP, I contacted them at first ofcourse, in my area it's extremely difficult to have good internet, on top of it the ISP services are so bad that they never send any technician to help until internet stops. And it's very hard also to find any good ISP other than what I'm on, I'm sharing my speedtest if it's of any help(also observe the continuous drop and rise in the speed graph). (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5567237936)

What I can say is I've a lot of apps installed during the past week, like different IObit apps advanced systemcare, malware fighter etc. had drivers updated. I don't think any of them should be blocking my internet as if they were, I guess they should've been then affecting the single device they're installed on then, not all devices on network.

As for the ISP, they after checking on call say to do a lot of things which I do and take bullbleep complaints (which they're doing nothing), one big problem is that I cannot connect my pc directly i.e. the connection comes to my router but from router it doesn't go to pc(hence the main pc too is connected to wifi) and this problem is very random, sometimes it connects, sometimes it just doesn't till a long time, due to this ISP said that go and get the computer checked from a local technician, I called one and he said he crammed or something the wire(I don't remember the word he said, but he did something to the wire so that it connects properly to the pc) but then it again after few hours got disconnected, so there's no way I can test actual speed connecting directly. Help me with this LAN wire connection too.

It's a very big problem and I'm really not understanding where the fault is, I just need help of what things should I do to check where the problems are or how to repair them. I'm really frustrated with this speed as I really can't download anything now.

PS: If someone is from Mumbai here, then please recommend me some good ISP's providing atleast 5/10Mbps speeds unlimited(limited till 200gb acceptable) please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

Who is your ISP now? Can you tell us as much as you know on how it works? Cable? DSL? Cellular? 

Where do you connect to the ISP? Can you connect your PC directly to that and run a speed test? 

Last, can you explain more about when you said "in my area it's extremely difficult to have good internet,". Is this something the ISP told you? If so, what did they say? Any idea why your area is having problems? Weather? Too many people? Signal interference?

#3 arko

arko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Do you mean how I'm connected to internet? by WiFi router.

From rooftop device to my internet device(i don't know what it's called) but in that in odu port, from that device there's another lan port which goes to my tp-link router, and from there it goes to my pc.

Now this wire which goes to my pc from router almost never works, same with the wire which goes from the device lan port to router when i bypass it to my pc directly.

I don't know where the problem is(i.e. wire or device lan port) but when the last ISP's technician had visited, he said that wire problem is resolved and the wire will connect(which doesn't).

Hence all devices are connected through router only and I'm unable to run speedtest directly. I don't think there's a router problem, it never happened before it's from around 2-3 years, please tell me how to check and I'll, if it's possible to check. I recently updated the firmware of it too.

This area thing I meant by the locality, if you're from India you might understand. Here the basic plans start from 1Mbps. Then 8Mbps is far too expensive for any average person like me. Now to tell more, it's like my ISP didn't say this but all my friends who live in my area have internet provided mostly by cable operators.

Now what I mean by this is that there's two type of ISP, one is these companies like Tikona(I'm subscribed to and whose detail was there in my speedtest link given before, sorry I forgot to mention name as this problem is over a week and I'm only being able to surf, downloading is impossible currently), then Airtel, Reliance etc. companies. Now these companies provide net directly and have there offices, support, engineers for visit etc services and because of this I'm with them for over 4-5 years now. What happens is this ISP is very bad, they always cause some problem every month and then it stays on for a week so and resolved, this is going on from years.

The 2nd ISP's here are provided by cable operators i.e. most of these people provide television services etc and net too, so they take it from somewhere else and provide. Hence they aren't very big, have shops or something in my area and they're very few people, hence I don't expect they'll have engineers or so to help when required. So these are their problems due to which I never took those. Their only upside is that the speeds are unbelievable at low costs, my friends say they receive random speeds sometimes at 5/10mbps while they've subscribed to some 2/4mbps plan. So connection is good, but support later when problem is there I don't think.

I've no idea why I'm having these problems except I clearly think this is something which only I'm facing and hence ISP is doing nothing to help as other people aren't facing this in my area. As I told before, recent changes I made were software installations whom I named(which I think shouldn't interfere as if they were then they should've been on single device, not the entire network) and for signal interference I don't know how to check that, recently a bose system was installed at my house, so it has Bluetooth and all. But it's been time since it was installed and it never caused problem.

So finally please tell me steps to find out what is causing problem from my side. How can I check by software my network, what app might be causing problem, the interference what's causing and whatever else can be done from my side.

I don't know how to deal with this ISP people as once they say over call that their back-end is fine, whatever I say they won't listen after that.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

From what I can tell Tikona uses LTE cellular as a hardline ISP replacement. I found this article very helpful in explaining how it works and the downfalls of such a ISP. With that said, I am not familiar with these types of ISP since they are not as common in my country. Please take my advice accordingly. My guess is your plan with Tikona includes a Fair Use Policy(FUP) which changes the ISP performance after you go over a certain bandwidth cap. What is special about Tikona is instead of slowing your throughput(speed), they change the priority the traffic gets on the network. This slows you down more/less depending on how many people are using their antennas. I think that is why your speed tests change so much. Think of it like taking a bus through the city and your bus pass only allows you access if a certain amount of seats are empty. See here if you want to learn about contention ratio's. 

Here is what I suggest;

1. Find out if you have a cap with Tikona and if you are going over it. If so, work on ways of either decreasing your bandwidth use, increase your cap(or eliminate it), or change ISP's. I can give different suggestions depending on which way you want to go.

2. Check that your antenna on the roof has good line of site to the main broadcast tower and that it is within 400 meters. It is normal that wired connections to the router don't work if you are using their router for wifi because of how they bridge the IP.  Because of this it makes it diffacult to isolate performance problems. See if they can change this and maybe disable wifi for a few days to test a wired connection.

3. Try to collect data on the problem. Keeping a list of speed tests and when they were taken is one step. Also, try looking at your latency, and see if that changes with your speed. Windows Key + R > CMD > Tracert google.com works well for a basic snap shot to take when the problem is occuring. If you want to look at the data long term, look into PingPlotter. Not only will this track exactly when the problems occur, but where on the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users