Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I defragmented SSD-is that bad???

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

Please answer! I am worried about my SSD.I defragmented it once with built in Windows tool.Is that bad???And one more question is often formating SSD bad??

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

HI! If you're experiencing no issues, then it should be fine. Defragmenting is just pointless and a waste of time on SSDs.

As for your other question, I believe formatting an SSD is fine.

#3 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Voidz thank you for your answer, but on many sites it says that defragmenting SSD is very bad for health and lifespan.But other sites says it is okay to defragment.I don't know what sites are telling the truth.

#4 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

Hey HrcaA3000!

I would not suggest defragmenting an SSD. SSDs have a limited number of writes on them, and defragmenting them will use up some of these limited number of writes. Also, because SSDs have no moving parts, defragmenting them will have no effect on performance.

As for formatting an SSD. You should not do that either. Instead, use Secure Erase found here.

Zachary Clark

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#5 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

Sasschary, if I use Windows Installation format tool (that tool when I am installing Windows) is that bad?Is my lifespan now shorter because Windows defragmented it?

#6 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Voidz thank you for your answer, but on many sites it says that defragmenting SSD is very bad for health and lifespan.But other sites says it is okay to defragment.I don't know what sites are telling the truth.

Refer to sasschary's answer, it does shorten the lifespan, just refrain from doing it in the future..

#7 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

Installing Windows to the SSD should be just fine. Your SSD's life is probably just slightly shorter now, but as long as you only did a defrag once, and don't defrag the SSD consistently, it should be fine.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#8 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

What is with Advanced System Care from IOBIT.It have trim function for SSD (not defragment,hdd have defragment function,but ssd have trim function).Is that bad because I have one year licence.

https://s3.postimg.org/srogv0t37/Bez_naslova.jpg

Here is hd tune pro health status,please check is all good here.

Edited by HrcaA3000, 20 August 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#9 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

Sasschary, you said defragmentation is not good.Why is Windows doing it if it is bad??

#10 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

It's only bad for SSD's, as they arent necessary and reduce life span. for Hard Drives however, defragmentation can be very useful.

#11 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

It's only bad for SSD's, as they arent necessary and reduce life span. for Hard Drives however, defragmentation can be very useful.

Ok, what is with TRIM function from Advanced System Care?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

FWIW:  I have defragmented one of my SSDs and I always format the SSD when installing Windows.  None of mine (I have 3) has ever given the slightest hint of a problem when I monitor the disk status using disk monitoring/diagnostic utilities.

Advanced System Care is an "optimizer/registry cleaner".  BC does not support the use of such, see Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494 and Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner .

Louis

#13 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

FWIW:  I have defragmented one of my SSDs and I always format the SSD when installing Windows.  None of mine (I have 3) has ever given the slightest hint of a problem when I monitor the disk status using disk monitoring/diagnostic utilities.

Advanced System Care is an "optimizer/registry cleaner".  BC does not support the use of such, see Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494 and Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner .

Louis

Thank you.So it is save to format ssd via built in WIndows installation tool because I do it every 1-2 week because I have problems with my Windows.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

I can't tell you what isn't possible...I can tell you what I know IS possible :).

I don't format either an SSD or a hard drive...routinely.  I format when I decide to install or reinstall some version of Windows.  That doesn't happen every two weeks, every month...it happens when it happens.

I've been running a dual-boot of XP and Win 7 on one of my SSDs.  I run chkdsk /r, followed by defrag (using Perfect Disk) whenever it seems that such may be the thing to do.  My computing is not done on a scheduled basis...I react to intuition, emergence of problems that previously did not exist...and that seems to work out fine for me and any system that I happen to use.

I defrag my XP install on my SSD...when XP seems to need defragging.  I don't defrag my Win 7 installation.  The two are on separate partitions on the same SSD.

If you have problems with Windows...and you think that the "solution" to such is to routinely format/reinstall Windows...and you continue to have problems in spite of doing this, you probably ought to take a different approach to problem-solving.  Maybe your problems is your system security/malware...maybe your problem is related to hardware.  IMO, the fact that you consider the recurrence of problems to be routinely solved by formatting/installing Windows...would mandate a different approach.

Louis

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

If you’d like a little more understanding of SSD

The real and complete story – Does Windows defragnent your SSD?

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

Your SSD TRIM should be working ok. But if you’d like to verify

Open an admin-level command window and enter the following: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify.

Windows will respond with DisableDeleteNotify = 0 if TRIM is working.

EDIT: I just saw Louis post. Yes please troubleshoot the problem as mentioned.

Edited by cmptrgy, 20 August 2016 - 02:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users