Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with new video card and World of Warcraft

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Silvermeteor

Silvermeteor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

First time poster here so please be gentle. I would also appreciate plain talk that this 73 year old can understand. I am reasonably knowledgeable and my computer experience dates back to the 1960s when transistors came one at a time in little tin cans about 1/4" round and about 3/8" tall. lol I have had subsequent and ongoing experience but VERY knowledgeable I am not!

Anyway I am upgrading to WOW Legend and got a message that my AMD Radeon 6670 video card (which Radeon is no longer supporting) may not cut the mustard with it's DirectX 10 limitations.

I am running a Dell Xperion with an i7 4 core processor and 16 GB on board RAM and Windows 10. It is about four years old.

Other than some photography restoration and colorization WOW is the only thing I do that might tax the video card. So, like a foolish old man, I waded into the video card fray looking for a Radeon R7 260 or an nVidia 750 Ti. Both come with 2GB on RAM but I soon found out that both are 4 years old and already long in the tooth. These cards are the minimum recommended by Blizzard.

The newest and greatest video card is not what I need. There is also the problem of Social Security and a fixed income. Sigh . . . . 

So, I am looking for suggestions in the $150 - $175 range that will meet my needs for now and possibly the next couple of years.

Your comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Just remember you are addressing someone likely old enough to be your grandfather so keep is simple. LOL This should be fun.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

HI! I'm not very familiar with the GBP to USD conversion rates (especially with how much they've been changing recently) and dont want to go wading through every GPU converting the cost. I did however find a good article that lists the best graphics cards in 2016 for under $150, here is the link.

http://www.xtremegaminerd.com/best-graphics-cards-under-150/

Have fun :)

EDIT: Found another link for best graphics cards under $200, it should be helpful http://www.xtremegaminerd.com/best-graphics-cards-under-200/

Edited by Voidz, 20 August 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Radeon RX 460 or RX 470 depending on how much you want to spend. RX 460 stays on budget, RX 470 goes bit over it.

HI! I'm not very familiar with the GBP to USD conversion rates (especially with how much they've been changing recently) and dont want to go wading through every GPU converting the cost. I did however find a good article that lists the best graphics cards in 2016 for under $150, here is the link.

http://www.xtremegaminerd.com/best-graphics-cards-under-150/

Have fun :)

EDIT: Found another link for best graphics cards under $200, it should be helpful http://www.xtremegaminerd.com/best-graphics-cards-under-200/

That's january 2016 so outdated info.

#4 Silvermeteor

Silvermeteor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

Boy. How I long for the days when you had to chose between CGA & VGA. Period! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users