Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Camera Setup Problems (Airport Extreme)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iKokomo

iKokomo

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Ok, we have a weird situation where we live. The internet comes into the main building and then we all have our routers (I have Airport Extreme) and we connect into that internet. I do have the main IP address (found via online search) for the entire complex.

*Edit - The router says it is in Double NAT mode

Now when I try to hook up my IP camera I followed all the directions for NAT port forwarding but when I look at my IP address under in Airport utility under the IPv4 it gives me a local internal 10.0.??? not my external IP address.

No matter what I do, I can't open the correct ports so I can see my camera when disconnected from my home router. 

How can I fix this? 

Thanks happy.png

Edited by iKokomo, 20 August 2016 - 09:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

Could you explain the fallowing in more detail? 

" The internet comes into the main building and then we all have our routers (I have Airport Extreme) and we connect into that internet. I do have the main IP address (found via online search) for the entire complex."

For example, who is the ISP? What are the routers connecting to? Modem? ONT? Separate ADSL lines?

Airport utility will always give you your private IP, not your public IP. Think of your router as a phone switch board with one phone number, and every phone off of it having a different exstention. With internet, the router get a public IP from the ISP and uses it to make lots of private IPs. Port forwarding is forwarding ports (types of traffic) from the public IP in your router and the public IP of the cameras. You will need to set up DHCP reservations for each camera so their private IP's don't change over time. 

::Because of your edit::

If you getting double NAT errors then the IP your router is getting is not public. See question one to clarify how your ISP works.

Edited by Trikein, 20 August 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

You're probably not going to be able to make this work.  The reason is that the ports will have to be forwarded on the main complex router to your router.

I'm guessing that your router's WAN address is the 10.0.x.x and your LAN addresses are 192.168.x.x.  What needs to happen is that the Internet address needs to be routed to the 10.0.x.x on your router so that it can route the traffic to your camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users