Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

School

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hello all. I graduated from highschool this year and wanted to go to college. I really want to persue some sort of degree in computer programing but i have no clue how to go about finding a decent school. I imagine prospective employers would want someone from a school with a good background. The problem is i dont really know how to find a decent school, and on top of that i want to find one in my area. I know i probably shouldnt let my personal life affect this decision but Im finally happy with my life and im not ready to walk away from it

I guess what i really want to know is, is there anyone out there who has gone through this and has any advice or suggestions on how to go about finding a decent school. And how much does the school i come from affect what jobs might or might not be open to me.

Also is there anyone out there in computer programing career? How do you like it? Whats it like? The only experience ive had so far is some c++ in highschool, and a tiny bit of visual basic. What all is expected of you and what other tasks might you be expected to be capable of handling.

I just really enjoyed working with it in highschool and would love to make a career out of it.

Thanks for reading and any responses are greatly appreciated.
Sorry if this doesnt belong here... i just sorta wanted to vent. ive been feeling sort of down about not haveing any idea were im going to go to school, i just feel like its too late.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

I don't know if it is typical of a programmers life but I could share a little anecdote about a friend of mine who has been studying programming for a few years now.

He has had this summer job for two years now where he writes some kind of xml parsers and backup programs and anything else needed. It turns out he spends 20% of the time working and 80% catching up on sleep lost to WoW. I've been told that smuggling in a pillow in his briefcase he can make a decent bed out of a bookcase and a few chairs.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

Learning to programme is not enough; most employers want a well-rounded and educated person able to work on a team and thus have communication skills. Avoid technical "colleges" and investigate what your state university system has to offer (I assume you are American); the credentials they offer are always more acceptable than that of the tradeschools, and you can receive a well-rounded education there (as a bonus, you might find other areas of interest for your lifework).
Most state universities have their course catalogue, as well as other useful information, on-line. Take some time to read about the computing departments, the courses they offer, and the requirements for graduation.
Once Fall session is underway, plan a trip to campus and talk to both students and faculty (most professors will be happy to talk to you during office hours, so be sure to make an appointment and have a list of questions handy).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users