Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Love my Linux

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SnowyRivers

SnowyRivers

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

64 yo now and got into computers when my daughter was in grade school and came home "My teacher says I need  computer at home"

Late 80"s

Dos 6.0/ win 3.1

And of course just went through all the Win stuff as it came along.

Got to Win 7 and just burned out on the costs of the new versions and the constant worries and work of dealing with all the virus's etc.

Had messed with a few Distros of Linux years ago, but not until 2013 did I decide to make the jump and go full time.

I found Zorin os7 then, tried it and never looked back.

Currently running Zorin OS 9 LTS premium 64 bit and love it.

Just finished a new ground up build on a Thermaltake P5 case and the install was the OS9

Snowy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Well Zorin is a okay distro, I just dont think it has its priorities straight.

Plus it seems way behind lately in releases coming out only three or so months before its EOL.

I think they should do LTS to LTS like mint does

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hello SnowyRivers, You sound like a cool dude. Keep up the faith and have fun with everything.

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 SnowyRivers

SnowyRivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Madman and Rocky.

When it comes to the "Politics " of this stuff I AVOID IT  :hysterical:

I have had very good luck with the Z distro 

To me it's all about getting as far as I can away from having to deal with the big boys up Washington way.

I don't mind one bit paying (Donating as they call it) $23 for the latest copy of the Z premium edition.

Great site here.

Again thanks for the response

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hi, SnowyRivers.

I took the plunge into the murky waters of the Linux ecosystem about 2 1/2 yrs ago, when XP (which I'd used for its entire lifetime) went EOL. Zorin was one of the first distros I tried myself.....it's a very good one for Windows 'refugees'. 

I've happily settled down with Puppy Linux.....and run eight of the little darlings on a 12-yr old Compaq desktop, and a further four on an even older Dell Inspiron laptop. Couldn't be happier. I get to do what I want to do on my machines these days; no worrying about malware, freezes, crashes, hangs, BSODs, etc..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 August 2016 - 11:35 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

IMO just about any Linux Distro is a good choice.

What is really cool is having the choice of many different GUI Desktops to choose from as each seem to offer their own little features about them.

Linux the smart choice for smart people.

#7 SnowyRivers

SnowyRivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

Very true stuff.

"Windows refugees"   :thumbup2:   I like it.

My current build is a Thermaltake Core P5.

Zorin OS 9 premium 64 bit.

Asus Maximus Extreme board with an XQ 9770 processor (Yeah I know OLD ahhh like me)

Radeon HT 6870 GPU

The Core P5 does not (Did not) have 5-1/4 bays  (DOES NOW) 

Corsair 750 modular PSU

Working on a water pumper unit.

Custom built from salvaged water cooler cases and various other SHTUFF 

Running 2 DVD drives and a 3 bay hot swap SATA hdd tray system.

Still thrashing on the water burner setup.

Love the Linux.

Have not had any Trojans, trolls, moles, holes ( :hysterical: ) or viruses in 3 years since bolting the MS CAMP.

This thing does all I need and more.

Edited by SnowyRivers, 21 August 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Sounds like a cool Linux setup you got there snowy! Keep at it!

I go back and forth with Windows and Linux. My last job the only thing I used Windows for was surfing web and email, all my main work was done on RedHat variant. It was fantastic being in the CLI for the majority of what I did.

Since I left that job and now I am a Cyber Security Engineer I kind of have to use Windows a whole lot more than I did (though use Linux for a couple of things in the work environment). Needless to say this flows its way back to my personal computers as I have been using W10 lately. I have Linux installed on most of my computers, I just have to fix grub since I installed W10... I'm just lazy and haven't done it.

Regardless, Linux is a fantastic system! I am glad you are enjoying your years so far with it! :)

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:14 AM

Hi SnowyRivers and :welcome: to BC and to the Linux and Unix section, hope you enjoy your stay here.

I am 59 next month and have trodden some similar paths, going back to DOS 3.1 and Windows 2/3.0. Blew all the Windows away two years ago this month.

I am running about 30 Linuxes at the moment, included amongst them is Zorin OS11, but if you need some late night reading, take a wander here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553242/zorbuntu-frankenstein-lives/ and you can read about how I accidentally merged Zorin OS9 with Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, I believe you will recognise the wallpaper?

Still runs, after two years, and it has just invited me to upgrade it ... upgrade it to what? (It will be the Ubuntu 16.04 side of things, split personality, lol).

Enjoy Linux ... I do, every day

:wizardball: Wizard

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:33 AM

Morning, Wiz.

I am running about 30 Linuxes at the moment, included amongst them is Zorin OS11, but if you need some late night reading, take a wander here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553242/zorbuntu-frankenstein-lives/ and you can read about how I accidentally merged Zorin OS9 with Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, I believe you will recognise the wallpaper?

Hmmm..! Y'know, I did something very similar a couple of years ago, shortly after I switched 100% from Windows to Linux. I was using Ubuntu Trusty myself at that time, and was trying out the ability to run different DEs from the log-in screen. Instead of installing the XFCE desktop, I actually mis-typed, and installed Xubuntu itself. There was only a couple of characters difference in the terminal commands, I had a stinking, rotten cold, and I was all 'fingers & thumbs' that day.....

Suffice it to say, ever afterwards on that partition, I had an OS that exhibited the characteristics of both some of the time, and sometimes one or the other. Double entries all over the place, too. Very peculiar, seeing the top bar of Ubuntu's 'Unity' displaying the drop-downs from Xubuntu's Thunar..! I know in my case this was because the two OSs were both identical 'under the hood'; it was only the user interface that varied. I believe the same probably happened in your case, too.

So, yes; it can (and does!) happen. And I doubt we'll be the last ones to experience it, neither.....   :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 August 2016 - 03:36 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 SnowyRivers

SnowyRivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

With Zorin being based in Ubuntu I can see how this could all come together.

Personally I avoid the Terminal and the messing with code as much as I can.

I had a few GLITCHES recently in the OS9 64 BIT and ended up adding some stuff in the startup to get things working correctly.

Just little stuff like the screensaver quit and sound in the card games went missing.

After some time messing AROUND I got it all like I want.

Now it's back to my first love, THE HARDWARE SIDE OF THINGS   :thumbup2:

Working on my water cooler set up.  

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

Personally I avoid the Terminal and the messing with code as much as I can.

Awww! But the terminal is so much fun! And I mean that in a non sarcastic way!  :P

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

This is one of the reasons I like Linux so much too. You can do so much more with the terminal than with a GUI. As an example, consider all the options for the simple copy cp command (for anyone who doesn't know, type cp --help in a terminal to see them), and compare all of that to right-clicking a file to copy it using the GUI.

I like Linux because it's so customisable; we are supposed to be able to customise it to our liking. Rather than being a monolithic entity that you're pretty much stuck with, in terms of how it's packaged, you can take Linux distros apart and build them up again differently, and it's so easy to do thanks to the centralised software repositories.

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

+1 AI!  :thumbup2:

Totally agree. Though I usually just run the vanilla build of whatever distro I have. Maybe some small tweaks here and there.

But I definitely use the terminal for a lot of different tasks. When you get used to it and start knowing some of the commands, a lot of the tasks become quite simple!

#15 SnowyRivers

SnowyRivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

I just never got into that stuff is all.

A good working system is all I ask.

Without the constraints that MS places on the end user.

My machine is my GO TO place for pretty much most shopping other than groceries and fuel.

I love net shopping.

Ebay and Craig's List are top of the heap.

Social sites etc are nice.

email is nice too

Don't do much high end apps any more.

Used to do video editing and such.

Love a project like the new build.

All good stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users