Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will 24/7 backups wear out your hard disk?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:37 AM

Thanks to bwv848's very good thread

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623821/will-scanning-your-laptop-too-often-wear-out-your-hard-disk/

-- I started this thread.  Quoting myself from my new-found friend's thread:

"Yes, definitely get that cooling assembly [for your laptop] soon.  Both of my laptops have their cooling assemblies, again, they can get quite warm during double backups, however, they rarely get hot in the proc corner. 

And, since we're talking about "hard-drive thrashing" possibilities, perhaps a new thread...concerning the constant monitoring of and the constant backing up of each and every folder and file change via NAS or whatever 24/7 while the computer is on -- that I've heard about across The 'Net."

[I adjusted the quote to fit in this new thread.]

Although 24/7 backups are not what bwv848 is doing, the idea of avoiding "hard-drive thrashing" is an idea that he and I both are concerned about.  Letr's begin!  Thread question:

Can constant, 24/7,  backups, via NAS or whatever, lead to "hard-drive thrashing", can cause the wearing out the hard-drive sooner rather than later?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

Yes.  A hard drive is mechanical, constant use will result in wear and tear on the drive will cause it to fail sooner.  That said, how much sooner may not be sufficient enough to worry about.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

+1 Kilroy; Most modern HDs usually last much longer than the earlier ones!

Edited by RolandJS, 20 August 2016 - 11:00 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users