Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Clean Computer And Test HDD's Life/Durability?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:41 PM

Greetings, 

To make a long story short, needed a computer ASAP as was in a pinch! Bought a monster of a PC on craiglist, used it for its computing power and got the job done.. Computer was never turned on again, THIS WAS OVER A YEAR AGO..

To be honest I completely forgot about it until I stumbled across it again in a dusty corner..

To get a solid ROI on this pc I want to start using it but have some concerns before I start using it as my daily driver.. 

1. How do I confirm/verify there is no spyware, keyloggers installed on this machine?  Worried the kid who sold it to me may have installed RAT's or other malicious spying type of software on it...

2. Is there a way or program to that will check the HDD's life or health status?  This machine has 2 HDD's on it, main is 350gb and secondary is 500gb's.  I would like to dump my lifes work from 3 external USB drives(50gb, 80gb, and 120gb) onto this machine for safe keeping/backup and then reformat my external drives, and dump the "cleaned" up data back on to them. 

3. I think thats pretty much it right?  Unless yall can think of something else i need to know/do? 

Please advise!

oNe

p.s.  O/S is Windows 7 but that pesky Win 10 update keeps flashing and so I clicked on it and who knows by tomorrow morning it may be on WIN 10..  fingers crossed! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

- Run GSmartControl and if there're any pink/red lines (except for "Temperature") in the "Attributes" tab then your HDD is (in the 1st stage of) failing.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hard drives are very cheap, may be best to start fresh, an ssd might be in order.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

HI! If you want to make sure there is no viruses/malware on your system, The best thing to do would just to be reinstall your operating system.

However, if you dont wish to do this, I suggest to download an anti virus - The free ones that I recommend are Avira and Avast.

Do a full scan with either one of those, or your own paid anti virus, followed by a Malware Bytes scan, and that should tell you if you you have any sort of virus.

If you want to check the status of your Hard Drive, you could try to do SMART check (if the hard drive supports SMART).

To do this without downloading anything, simply open Command Prompt and then type in "wmic" and then enter.

On the new line, type "diskdrive get status" , that should tell you broadly if anything is wrong with the hard drive or not.

If you want to download a program that will display the SMART stats in a much more thorough manner,  you can download CrystalDiskInfo, if there is anything wrong with your hard drive, it well tell you what is wrong with it. It displays stats such as temperature and the specs of your hard drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users