Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Memory Leak and Fix?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hello everyone. I think my computer has a memory leak from the following symptoms: When I open task manager on my Windows 10 PC, I notice abnormally high system RAM usage, and the processes and details tabs don't show nearly enough total usage to justify 2.7 out of 8GB of system RAM being used. I have experienced BSODs with my PC for sometime, mostly during high-end gaming, and this has remained a constant variable from Windows 7 to my upgrade to Windows 10. When I analyze BSODs with bluescreenview, I notice that a recurring bug check string is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, although I have seen others. ntoskrnl.exe is also often listed as a culprit driver.

So, with all this in mind, do I have a memory leak, and if I don't, what is it? How do I fix whatever this is?

UPDATE: I have tried to update drivers from Device Manager, and it said I already had the best drivers. I have run memtest in the past and found no issues with RAM.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 August 2016 - 11:35 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to BSOD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:23 AM

I'm uncertain about a memory leak, but we'll need to do some further troubleshooting.

How long ago did you run MemTest?

Updating drivers from Device Manager only checks Windows/Microsoft update.

It's better to check the device manufacturer's website for the most current drivers.

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thank you for your response. I ran memtest two weeks ago over an entire night, and it found nothing. I tried downloading and opening both of those bsod dump programs you linked to, but they did not work when I tried to run them, and were deleted by my antivirus. Do I need to be in the admin account to use them?

Update: Tried the admin account, same results.

Edited by kurosawaftw7, 20 August 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:34 AM

I think that your system may have been compromised - as those programs have run on thousands of systems without any problems.

I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

I will do so, but I have had bsods for awhile now, since 2013 if I recall correctly, so that would seem odd to me. Are these programs you linked compatible with Panda Free Antivirus? That may be the issue, but I will post over in that forum anyway. Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

I'm uncertain what you mean by them being compatible w/Panda antivirus?

The links I provided are to the program that will generate the reports that we use to analyze your system.

I can analyze the BSOD's (and the system) if you'd like.

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

#7 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

How do I upload zip files? I don't see a button for attaching files.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Click on More Reply Options in the lower right - it's at the bottom of the reply window on that page

#9 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

So I got some help from a guy who had me run many thorough scans of my PC with analysis, and he came to the conclusion that my computer is clean. One thing I noticed awhile ago is that after I updated my BIOS in 2014(?) the clock speed on my computer's cpu went from 3.1 to 2.8. I don't know why it did that but I thought you should know that these weird things keep happening. Also, it is possible that some BSOD minidumps from the past were erased when i reset my computer several months ago.

Attached Files

#10 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

I had another error today, not a BSOD per se, but something that caused my computer screen to freeze and become unresponsive, so I pressed the reboot button on my computer. I was watching Netflix from a web browser, so nothing strenuous. Also, several days ago I opened device manager and it said that one of the USB connectors wasn't working, saying, "Unknown USB Device, Invalid Device Descriptor" I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but it is present now. Under properties, it says, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) The USB device returned an invalid USB device descriptor." What could this be a clue to?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version FC) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have a Edimax nLite Wireless USB Adapter:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

There is an unknown USB device connected to your system.
Please remove all USB devices from the system in order to figure out which one it is (let us know what you find out)

The missing device will be listed in Device Manager - so you will see it disappear when you remove it.

Unknown USB Device (Invalid Device Descriptor)    USB\VID_0000&PID_0005\5&1398A1F1&0&3    43

More info on device detection here:  https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2009/11/03/why-is-my-usb-device-not-detected-or-comes-up-as-unknown-device/

There was a BSOD on 26 August - but there are no memory dumps in the uploaded files.

Please:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

The information in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report shows that the BSOD was blamed on pskmad.sys - a driver for your Panda security.
Please uninstall your Panda security and test the system to see if that fixes the problem.  Ensure that you turn on Windows Defender for protection while testing.

If it does, then download/install a fresh copy of Panda (if you'd like) in order to see if it continues to work on your system without issues.

In the event that the BSOD's continue, please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

#12 kurosawaftw7

kurosawaftw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

I'd get you more minidump files but they really are gone. There's nothing I can do about that. As for my motherboard, FC is the last BIOS version for my motherboard because of how old it is. In fact,they don't even offer a Windows 10 compatible version. So on those two fronts, I have no idea what to do.

I will investigate the use of an internal Wi-Fi antenna, but I don't understand how a USB one could cause BSODs and instability. I will try to get the latest drivers for my model. I will also update Panda Antivirus.

A theory I have is that something is wrong with the motherboard and that it might need to be replaced. It is a Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 (rev. 3.1), which is an old model. This is just a theory, but I was wondering if you thought something MIGHT be wrong with my mobo.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:21 AM

The BIOS is a concern because it's so old - and W10 communicates with the BIOS a lot more than previous OS's

As such, we have to worry about a compatibility issue.  BUT, the way to test for compatibility is to revert to the previous OS and see if it works normally there.
That's a bit drastic this early in our troubleshooting tho' - so you may want to hold off on that for no.

As for the USB wifi device, there's several problems:

- we see more BSOD's on USB devices than on other devices

- in the W7 days, it was a known problem with wifi USB's

- driver age, compatibility, and driver corruption can all contribute to the BSOD's

BUT, you have to understand that BSOD's are rather rare events - and that not everyone who uses a USB wifi device has problems with them.

Finally, we haven't seen as many problems with wifi USB devices in W8/10 - so they are less suspect than they used to be.

IMO the 2 most critical things are:

- the unknown USB device

- the Panda error

It is possible that the motherboard has a problem - but you should first test the compatibility using the original OS that the system was designed for (I'd suggest W7).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users