Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do i need to re-apply Thermal Paste?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanielFVS

DanielFVS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hi, i have recently build my first computer and i've got a problem with it, i installed and plugged everything right but when i clicked the power button it turned on all the fans for about half a second and turned off again, so i checked everything again and i realised it was a problem in my PSU, so i tested with one from my friend and the PC started with no problem (i think, because we have just connected the 24 Pin and 8 Pins cables and plugged in the power button, we saw the fans moving and we heard a beep from the speaker, that in gigabyte MOBOs it means that everything is fine, then we turned the power off).

But today i just realised that before i tested with my friends PSU, i removed the CPU and the stock cooler to verify if the CPU was installed correctly, then i put them back on the motherboard. Did i needed to re-apply thermal paste? I have never turned on my computer before the test, well.. i did but it was actually for a half second everytime.

Thank you for your time and sorry for my long text and bad english hehe  :)

My PC:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
PSU: Corsair CX500 (mine) | Nox Urano VX 650W (my friend's)
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 950 SC+
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2016 - 04:39 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

Yes, you should reapply the thermal paste after thoroughly cleaning the CPU and fan of old paste with 91% alcohol. If this was a stock cooler with a thermal pad (TIM) make sure it is completely removed. The video shows 99% alcohol but 91% is fine. 

#3 DanielFVS

DanielFVS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

Thank you for your answer. I really apreciate it, since it's my first experience and i don't want it to go badly... 

Even though, what could happened if i didn't realise that and i still were using the same thermal paste, would it damage the CPU entirely in a matter of seconds or it would heat a lot with time?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

Not for the amount of time you had the computer on. Intel CPUs have thremal protection where they automatically shut down.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/should-you-reapply-thermal-paste-every-time-you-re-27394426/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users