Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing wine on Ubuntu 16.04

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mario909

mario909

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

Hello , i'm having a hard time installing Wine on my computer. I went to the Winehq.org web site and followed the instructions on the page below: 

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

So it went through the install, then I rebooted my computer. Then when it restarted I couldn't find it on my computer. I clicked on the icon at the top of the left side pane and put into the search box wine, but its not there. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS version.

Can someone help me to install this program please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Try using Alt F2 keys and then entering Wine.

You should see this when hitting the Alt F2 keys:

552x212x010520071178057478449516320.png.

Edited by buddy215, 19 August 2016 - 03:02 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

Wine is and was available from the Ubuntu Software Center, and still may be needed to be installed from there.  This would be the first course of action when wanting to install an app.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,605 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

Also wine isnt really an app per se, it usually has its own set of submenus and section.

Its not like if you open it it will do much anyhow from the menu

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

Ok so i hit alt + f2 , typed in wine and hit enter but nothing happened.

I can't understand why it won't launch, every other programme I installed on here works.

Edited by mario909, 19 August 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,605 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Again its not a app of its own.

Try "configure wine"

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

If that doesn't work....I suggest uninstalling whatever you installed and use the installer for Wine found in the Ubuntu Software Center.

How to remove wine from Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

OK...

Open a terminal and:

winecfg

You now should be offered to install some missing things (Mono and Gecko), please install them.

After that a "Wine Configuration" window will open, close it.

Now you are ready to install your Windows programs, you can do that by left clicking the installer/exe and choose "Open With Wine Windows Program Loader". After your first Windows program is installed you should find "Wine" and the "Installed Windows Program(s)" in your "Menu".

Hope this helps!  :wink:

#9 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:20 PM

OK...

Open a terminal and:

winecfg

You now should be offered to install some missing things (Mono and Gecko), please install them.

After that a "Wine Configuration" window will open, close it.

Now you are ready to install your Windows programs, you can do that by left clicking the installer/exe and choose "Open With Wine Windows Program Loader". After your first Windows program is installed you should find "Wine" and the "Installed Windows Program(s)" in your "Menu".

Hope this helps!  :wink:

Ok, that seemed to work. Thanks guys, its running ok. 

#10 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

You're welcome!  :wink:

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:55 AM

I'll second GNU/Linux's suggestion.

Just FYI, no matter what distro you run, or which version of WINE you install, after installation you must run 'winecfg'. You can generally find this in /usr/bin (sometimes /usr/sbin, depending on the version of WINE and how your distro's package manager is set up to install it); it's an executable script, so simply clicking on it should run it. Or, as stated, simply run it from the terminal.

If you don't run it, the 'hidden' /.wine directory will not be created (I believe in Ubuntu it's found at /home/,wine. It's located at /root/.wine in my Puppies, since Pup always runs as root.) And as GNU/Linux states, it's also needed for downloading & installing 'Gecko' & 'Mono', which are required for WINE to work properly.

And if the /.wine directory isn't created, you won't be able to install or run anything, as it is from here that the 'emulated' Windows applications are run, in a simulated 'real-time' Windows environment.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 20 August 2016 - 12:59 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users