Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Issue] Wont Properly Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ogoid

Ogoid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

I have a custom rig that has been giving me issues recently. 

I reinstalled a fresh version of Windows 10 on it, when I'm logged in for the first time and i restart my computer, one of two issues may occur.

First, either the computer will boot up fine and run through the windows boot logo, however immediately after the windows boot logo, my monitors will disconnect as if they weren't connected as well as the keyboard/mouse will turn off. 

If i were to press the reset button, at any point the computer will restart, however I would get 8 short POST beeps with the board LEDs indicating a "Mem Error". I tried re-seating the RAM, clearing the CMOS even, however the problems persists. If i were to instead power down the computer instead of using the reset button it will boot up fine until again, the windows boot logo where the monitor/keyboard/mouse would lose power.

Iv'e been stuck here and have no idea what I should do, any ideas?

UPDATE1: After disconnecting my GPU and plugging HDMI into the onboard HDMI the computer boots without issue to my desktop. Could this be a PSU issue then?

UPDATE2: While using the integrated graphics the HDMI will still lose connection, randomly. Sometimes at the login screen other times once already logged in and on my desktop.

Edited by Ogoid, 19 August 2016 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

After disconnecting my GPU and plugging HDMI into the onboard HDMI the computer boots without issue to my desktop.

By this I'm assuming that the integrated graphics on the motherboard was used after disconnecting the dedicated GPU?

Set the computer to boot into Safe Mode.

Type msconfig in the search box, this will open the system configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, click/tap on Safe boot, then Apply, and OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Reinstall the GPU, restart the computer and see if the problem persists.  If it doesn't, this is probably driver related.  If it doesn't, then you have a problem with your GPU.

Edit:  The computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check from Safe boot, click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Edited by dc3, 19 August 2016 - 12:11 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ogoid

Ogoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Correct, the integrated graphics was used after i disconnected the dedicated GPU. Also, when i say i disconnected the dedicated GPU i meant literally from the PCI slot/ PSU, not just the hdmi cable. Seems to continue with the boot issue/ 8 beeps if its plugged in however not being used.

But alright, I will give your recommendation a shot. I'll get back with the results.

Edit: So I am able to boot into safe mode with the dedicated GPU hooked up and running. I attempted a fresh install of windows, it booted up fine into windows being that no drivers were installed. When i login for the first time an automatic install/update of Vulkan Runtime Libraries is installed which I'm going to assume might be the culprit? I'm going to experiment a but more to see if it surely is the issue and will again post any updates.

Edited by Ogoid, 19 August 2016 - 12:49 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users