Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible bsod

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aweciti

aweciti

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

I have been having some problems with my PC over the last 6 weeks or so.  

It started with my PC just randomly shutting off.  I'd be in the middle of a game and then just off.  I'd power it back on and it would work fine for a while, sometimes a week or more then happen again.

Talking to some friends and reading online I found that my PC is not adequately cooled/ventilated.  I have 1 front fan and nothing else.  So I have recently ordered a fan controller and some fans and in the mean time I have been monitoring my temps with speedtest.  To help while I wait, I opened up the side panel and have a fan blowing into the case that way.  Monitoring my temps I have not seen my GPU go over 70c and my CPU has not gone over 55c.  Usually pretty well under those numbers.

Last night while playing (NBA2K16 if that matters) my screen went blue.  I have seen BSOD before which is a kind of dark blue with white font in my experiences, but this was a baby blue screen with no writing.  

I turned off my PC after a few seconds of waiting to see what it would do.  And then went to turn it back on.  The case light came on but the fans/cpu ect did not come on.  Just the blue case light.  So I unplugged the cord from the back of the case and gave it a few  minutes and it powered back up.  It is now seemingly working fine.  

Obviously there is something wrong.  

From the above information can anyone tell me their opinion on

1.  Is my ventilation/cooling causing my problems?  (I don't think it is but I am addressing it anyway)

2.  If not, what do you think it is?  My other suspects are RAM, Power Supply/ Graphics card

3.  Is there a way to know?  A diagnosis tool or anything that would pin point the problem?

I am hoping to avoid buying a power supply, then a gc, then the next piece ect until I find the problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Info that might help is

I have a GTX970 GC and a 600w power supply.  

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2016 - 10:28 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardeware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

A few critical things: 70 C is NOT normal, you are generating some serious heat, 55 is also gunna fry your cpu, if your cpu is over 40-45, turn it off immediately and cool that s**t. You will absolutely need additional cooling especially for gaming when youre putting the hardware into overdrive. I'd honestly recommend 2-3 fans minimum with regular heat checks via bios so you can determine how long youre good to play. I'm about build a new pc and im gunna invest in liquid cooling to ensure any high performance tasks are efficiently cooled and maintained so component failure isn't gunna be a problem. Should your budget (and board) support it, if youre doing high function gaming (and im guessing overclocking) check it out, or invest in higher rpm fans to ensure youre getting good airflow

#4 aweciti

aweciti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

A few critical things: 70 C is NOT normal, you are generating some serious heat, 55 is also gunna fry your cpu, if your cpu is over 40-45, turn it off immediately and cool that s**t. You will absolutely need additional cooling especially for gaming when youre putting the hardware into overdrive. I'd honestly recommend 2-3 fans minimum with regular heat checks via bios so you can determine how long youre good to play. I'm about build a new pc and im gunna invest in liquid cooling to ensure any high performance tasks are efficiently cooled and maintained so component failure isn't gunna be a problem. Should your budget (and board) support it, if youre doing high function gaming (and im guessing overclocking) check it out, or invest in higher rpm fans to ensure youre getting good airflow

I have on order from new egg a fan controller and 4 fans to add to my case.  So I think that will solve my cooling issues.  

When I turn my pc on.  Idle without opening any programs my CPU is around 40-45.  

Edit.  Nevermind.  I am just retarded.  

System is 45.  CPU was 25c.   Sorry about that.  

Edited by aweciti, 19 August 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#5 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

That's a lot more normal. Good airflow is critical to keep the major components cool and fumncctioning properly. Hopefully the new fans will solve your problem!

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#6 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

Hi - Have you overclocked your CPU? I had this problem with a prebuilt PC a while back where they sold me a PC with an overclock that wasn't stable, I experienced random shut downs, wouldn't be able to turn PC on for a while, had to get lucky. (This wasn't consistent however, it would be perfectly fine one day but then terrible the other.) I know your CPU temps are under 55 degrees usually, which seems great and makes the overclocking scenario unlikely, I just wanted to try to give a possible solution.

EDIT: Max temps on CPU's vary between brand and model, I disagree with icanswim stating that it's dangerous for you to run your CPU over 45 degrees, that would actually be considered a great temperature for me whilst gaming - my CPU generates over 60 degrees whilst gaming and it is completely fine, being around 12 degrees away from the Thermal Margin ( The temperature where things start to get dangerous, the CPU will throttle itself and decrease performance to cool itself).

Edited by Voidz, 19 August 2016 - 07:32 PM.

#7 aweciti

aweciti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:00 AM

Hi - Have you overclocked your CPU? I had this problem with a prebuilt PC a while back where they sold me a PC with an overclock that wasn't stable, I experienced random shut downs, wouldn't be able to turn PC on for a while, had to get lucky. (This wasn't consistent however, it would be perfectly fine one day but then terrible the other.) I know your CPU temps are under 55 degrees usually, which seems great and makes the overclocking scenario unlikely, I just wanted to try to give a possible solution.

EDIT: Max temps on CPU's vary between brand and model, I disagree with icanswim stating that it's dangerous for you to run your CPU over 45 degrees, that would actually be considered a great temperature for me whilst gaming - my CPU generates over 60 degrees whilst gaming and it is completely fine, being around 12 degrees away from the Thermal Margin ( The temperature where things start to get dangerous, the CPU will throttle itself and decrease performance to cool itself).

I don't think so. I don't know how to overclock.

Also now my pc won't turn in. When I try, everything just blinks but nothing powers up.

#8 aweciti

aweciti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:02 AM

Hi louis. I came home and was going to post what you are asking for but not my pc won't power on at all.

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2016 - 07:41 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#9 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

HI! Is the situation the same as earlier? Have you been inside your PC recently? this could have been months ago. If you've been inside your PC, then you could've damaged some hardware with an ESD. Try to remove a stick of ram and then try to power up the PC, do this with each stick of RAM to identify if there is and bad RAM as a single bad stick of RAM can completely stop a computer from powering up or it could cause alot of problems.

It could also be a faulty PSU. 

How to check your PSU - http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users