Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage drive (non os) gets full by itself

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 valakd

valakd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

Yesterday morning my drive had ~60 gb free out of 930, today 3. Through folder options I check the "see hidden folders and files" option then I select all items in my drive and through properties I see that all the files occupy ~860 gb. How is that? I ran a full sensibility avast scan but it only detected opencandy from some installers (and opencandy is not the culprit)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

- Run Wiztree v2.01 for that one drive. It can show the largest files and what folders are the largest.

http://antibody-software.com

- Is your OS drive full as well ? Are there any automated tasks (e.g. Backup software). Did you recently install any software ?

- When e.g the C: drive is full then Windows will use another drive to store a new System Restore Point.

#3 valakd

valakd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

I've taken screenshots of treesize, wiztree and hdd properties

http://imgur.com/1lM9PXY

I have made only 1 backup some weeks ago and backups are set to be manual only

Edited by valakd, 19 August 2016 - 11:52 AM.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

- You've got 3 LARGE folders "Programmi", "Steam" & "Download". What are these for ? Streamed videos ?

- Are there any programs that "push stuff" into these 3 folders ?

#5 valakd

valakd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

Programmi is programs and games. Steam is steam games. Download are installers/isos/videos.

Idk what you mean with streamed videos. 

I dont think so. It must be some files windows created by itself since my download speed is 0.5 mb/s at max speed and to download 60 gigs it would take at least 30 hours and it would make websites and games lag, and i noticed none of it

Edited by valakd, 19 August 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

- Open that "Steam" folder. Are the names of those files familiar ?

#7 valakd

valakd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

I dont know, I usually only browse subfolders of that folder through the software, so I almost never see those files. I have checked their size and apart from the subfolder where all the games are installed the other folders weigh 20 gigs, of which 16 are from the folder where updates are downloaded. 

This has already happened some months ago with my os drive, 30 gbs out of nowhere that disappeared within a week

#8 valakd

valakd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

Today the system volume information folder became 29 gbs lighter for whatever reason

Tod2dOz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users