Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Better modem or faster internet speed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Synthrax

Synthrax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

I currently share an internet connection with someone who likes to torrent. We typically take turns sharing (one person is off and one is on) to counter the really bad lag that comes from p2p sharing, and we're exploring some options. I was wondering would it be more sensible to buy a better modem that has a higher connectivity capability or would it make more sense to pay for higher internet speed? 

We currently have Verizon high speed internet DSL rated @ 7.5mbps downstream 0.9 up

I've looked and we're eligible for a higher internet speed, but to me it seems like 7mpbs should be enough for 2 people. I typically like to game though and it's impossible for both of us to use the internet at the same time. And when she is torrenting it makes webpages load slow and videos take forever to load.

I'm not extremely tech savvy but I'm pretty sure the cause of the lag is the modem being overloaded by connections, not because she's hogging up the bandwidth. From what I've seen, she uses between 800 - 900 kbps max. I guess it could be because of our limited upstream too though so I'm not sure.Any help is much appreciated

Our modem: D-Link model DSL-2750B

Edited by Synthrax, 19 August 2016 - 06:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

Your upload is what is going to kill you. Does she upload torrents or just download? How do you know how much bandwidth she uses?

#3 Synthrax

Synthrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

She does both. I think you're right - I'm not really sure how to monitor how much she's using other than actively looking at her computer which I do, and I've never seen her exceeding 900kbps downloading.  

I actually just contacted customer service and I guess we no longer qualify for the higher speed internet since we moved to a new area. 

is there anything else we could do?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

How good are you aiming for? How much time and money are you looking to spend? Would you like trying to make your current situation better as much as possible or is changing ISPs possible? New router (QoS)?

#5 Synthrax

Synthrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

I would be willing to buy new equipment if it would help solve the problem. I'm not rich or anything so I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I'm curious of what options I have  I'd also change ISP's but unfortunately there aren't any other companies I know of in my area. I'm in a remote town. The main goal for me is to make the internet usable for both of us at the same time if possible. I'd be willing to spend an unlimited amount of time. 

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

I guess the first to check is what is effecting the problem more, throughput or latency. Ask her to disable upload for a day and try gaming while she just downloads. If this helps a lot then your options should center on getting more upload or limiting what upload she uses. If it doesn't help, and the act of her using the torrent client at all slows your computer down, then changing settings on the router (QoS) may help. 

Also, check out DSLR reviews to see if you have any unknown options in your area. 

Last, what games do you play? It would be good to check what the upload/download requirements of the games are and useful when suggesting tracert targets.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

Is switching to a different ISP an option for you? I don't know where you are located but the cable company that serves your area might have an internet service tier that would suit your needs and may solve the issue for you.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

Ask her to disable upload for a day and try gaming while she just downloads. If this helps a lot then your options should center on getting more upload or limiting what upload she uses.

Or see if she can only turn on upload when you will not be using the Internet (i.e. while sleeping or away from the house).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users