Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build overheat, then no display [Problem]

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bendanlaowai

bendanlaowai

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

Hi there, I've just built a PC, all components are new except the case, DVD drive and one hard drive. It was up and running for about an hour last night, but while running updates I noticed a burning smell and it suddenly shut down.

Now, when I turn it on, the monitor says "No display" and sits on standby. All the components are powering up fine (visibly) - all the fans come on and the LEDs are working.

What I've done: I've tried a different GPU, different monitor cable and a different monitor but with the same issue each time. I also checked the thermal paste on the cooler and reinstalled it, checking it was locked down tight.

Components:

Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS LGA1151

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.30GHz

Aftermarket cooler: SilenX EFZ-120HA5

GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070

PSU: Corsair RM750X

RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3000Mhz

Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB HDD

Obviously I'm disappointed and worried that something expensive has cooked itself, it seems the logical suspects are the CPU or the motherboard, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I'd really appreciate some help - it's my first build myself, I painstakingly followed guides and instructions and this aside everything ran fine to begin with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

Check that CPU socket pins are not bent.

#3 bendanlaowai

bendanlaowai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

Check that CPU socket pins are not bent.

I just double checked, thanks but the pins are fine.

#4 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Start checking the obvious (cables, CPU contacts), try monitor on a different computer you know is working, ddoes GeForce have a built in fan? Have you configured the gpu in bios? Maybe the new gpu is creating more heat than your fans can filter out?

#5 bendanlaowai

bendanlaowai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

Yeah the GPU has a fan, its drivers are all installed and updated but I can't access bios now so I can't even see what temperature things are running at. It's strange because if the GPU was overheating it would make sense that my PC was at least run for a while, as before the issue it had been running on and off for an hour updating.

I've tried switching cables with the spares that came with the PSU but to no effect.

#6 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

I'm starting to think you have a process running that is putting high demand on the gpu causing it to crash i.e computer game, 4k video. Also try rolling back the drivers for your gpu and see if that fixes anything, may be a corrupt update file

#7 bendanlaowai

bendanlaowai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

I'm not sure, it was a completely fresh install so the only thing running at the time was an optional Windows update that was downloading. Unfortunately I can't do anything with it until I've resolved the display issue first.

#8 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

The other thing I should have mentioned is you could have very well fried your card completely. I'd double check before hand (haven't done a video card repair in forever) but remove your video card and power up the pc (it should switch to on board video) and see if it boots and everything works, then you'll know the video card may have bit the biscuit on that one. IMPORTANT: if it does boot, go into BIOS and check all your critical settings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users