Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help/advice with PC upgrade

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:29 AM

Hello, just wanted to say that this is my first time on BleepingComputer, so if I did anything wrong with the creation of this topic please let me know.

I've been looking around for parts to replace my old ones and these are the ones I've set my eyes on. I just want to know if there are any compatibility issues with any of them or if there are better parts out there.
Also, I did double-check with pcpartpicker.com, but I just want to triple-check on here as this is my pride and joy :P

Edit: I've switched out parts thanks to suggestions from you guys. I don't know if I should switch my Mobo & Processor (which would mean I have to re-install Windows), so I'm sticking with my current Mobo for now and using the AMD Athlon II X4 651K

NEW PARTS
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
PSU: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 651K // Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 950
Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 Micro ATX // MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

OLD PARTS
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D Green 380 Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
CPU: AMD A4-3300 APU with AMD Radeon 6410 HD Graphics 2.5GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Processor
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 950
Motherboard: MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 Micro ATX

I'd also like to know the difference between the Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor and Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor.
ONE LAST THING: Because I'm replacing so many core components, I believe I have to re-install Windows in order to have the correct drivers for the new parts. Does this mean I can just use the same Windows disc or will I also have to buy a new one?

Thank you so much in advance for helping out,
ObviousSergeant

AMD Athlon II X4 651K

Edited by ObviousSergeant, 20 August 2016 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

I see no sense doing that small upgrade when changing motherboard. I suggest you search for used Athlon II X4 CPU with one of following model number:

And put it into your current motherboard. Then you also don't have to worry about Windows license.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 19 August 2016 - 05:27 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

I'm curious...what is it that you are trying to gain...by doing this change of components?

Is there any real purpose or do you just want to change out a few parts of your system?  I do this all the time...but I don't consider it an "upgrade", just a change for the sake of change :).

What did your old system not do...that you think merits a change of any sort?

Louis

#4 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

I'm curious...what is it that you are trying to gain...by doing this change of components?

Is there any real purpose or do you just want to change out a few parts of your system?  I do this all the time...but I don't consider it an "upgrade", just a change for the sake of change :).

What did your old system not do...that you think merits a change of any sort?

Louis

I'm going to be honest, I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Do you mean to say that changing these components won't allow my system to run better? If so, can you suggest some part upgrades that will make it perform at a higher level?

#5 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

I see no sense doing that small upgrade when changing motherboard. I suggest you search for used Athlon II X4 CPU with one of following model number:

And put it into your current motherboard. Then you also don't have to worry about Windows license.

Thanks for the suggestions! But, do you think that an upgrade to AMD Athlon x4 760k would do better?

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! But, do you think that an upgrade to AMD Athlon x4 760k would do better?

No because you'll need new motherboard.

#7 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

No because you'll need new motherboard.

Ah yes, my bad. Do you still think that I should upgrade the PSU as well? Also, out the four processors you suggested which one would perform the best? I assume the 651 but just making sure.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

Is there a reason for a change? Anything that's slow?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Is there a reason for a change? Anything that's slow?

I have started recording on YouTube and my computer can just barely handle it at the moment. That's why I'm upgrading parts that I think will help me record better and just have better overall performance for my PC.

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

The difference between the G3258 and G3240 is the G3258 is overclockable. If you are serious into gaming/ content production, I recommend saving more pennies for the I5 4460. You will need a new windows license.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:38 PM

The difference between the G3258 and G3240 is the G3258 is overclockable. If you are serious into gaming/ content production, I recommend saving more pennies for the I5 4460. You will need a new windows license.

Will I need a new MoBo as well? Or will the MoBo under my "NEW PARTS" list suffice?

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:39 PM

Yes, that MOBO would work with the i5 4460.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

Yes, that MOBO would work with the i5 4460.

Will the PSU in the "NEW PARTS" list also do?

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:42 PM

Yes, it should.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 ObviousSergeant

ObviousSergeant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:42 AM

Hey Captain_Chicken,

I don't think I'll be making the huge upgrade to the I5 4460 right now, but I will keep it in mind for when I choose to do that overhaul for my system.

For now, I will stick with my current Mobo (unless you have a suggestion for a better one with a compatible CPU) and the CPU that I'm going with is the AMD Athlon II X4 651K along with said PSU.

Just wanted to ask you again about your opinion on this decision and if you have more (I know I ask this a lot) suggestions on these components.

Edited by ObviousSergeant, 20 August 2016 - 12:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users