Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

990fx Tuff Asus Ethernet adapter not working after driver update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rastilan

Rastilan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

Used a driver checker/updater called DriverAgent and after the update the ethernet adapter on my 990fx ver 1 stopped working entirely! Some background, same issue existed on my Windows 7 install. After needing to wipe the SDD and installed Linux I noticed the ethernet adapter worked *odd* moved to install windows 7 again, and updated to 10.. Ethernet adapter worked again! awesome! However after updating the driver it fails to even see the ethernet again.

uninstalled adapter + drivers and installed multiple driver versions, both from Asus and the base windows.. It refuses to see the connection anymore.

Id reinstall Windows but i do require this for work, so next time I have a day or 2 off. However I just ordered a PCIe ethernet card from amazon so that will work as well. However id like to get the onboard fixed so I can just use that as a backup for computer issues. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

Used a driver checker/updater

I don't recommend any auto driver updater unless by the chip maker themselves.

Ethernet adapter worked again! awesome! However after updating the driver it fails to even see the ethernet again.

Why would you update the driver if it was working?

Only update drivers if you are having a problem with the device and a hardware issue is ruled out. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The only driver I would update if the computer was running well would be the Graphics driver.

You should be able to revert the driver in Device Manager.

#3 Rastilan

Rastilan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Yeah I was having issues with my audio, seems quiet on both mic and ears. Decided to check check all drivers as it had been awhile since I checked them. Thought "what can go wrong?". lesson learned.

Roll back did not fix the problem, tried that before.

Edited by Rastilan, 19 August 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

Other than the Windows 10 Network Troubleshooter you can download Windows Repair and check and only check the Network Repair box then reboot.

Even though it shows as only supported up to 8 the program also supports up to 10.

Edit: Save the utility to a USB flash drive or burn it to disk on another computer. Do you have a restore point just before the driver update?

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 August 2016 - 03:14 PM.

#5 Rastilan

Rastilan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Edit: Save the utility to a USB flash drive or burn it to disk on another computer. Do you have a restore point just before the driver update?

I thought I did, seems I did not. That is one of the things I went to try as well.

I will try the repair option. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users