Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gf drowned my alienware

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:09 AM

So my gf poured a bottle of water into the top of my alien ware x51 PC. It wasn't hooked up or running thank god. But will it be fine if I just tear it down and let it dry?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 August 2016 - 10:10 AM.
moved from General Chat to Internal Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:03 AM

A Texas GF...right?  Really, the only way to be sure if any damage was done will be to power it up. But you sure don't want to do that until

you are 1000% sure there is NO water in any of the nooks and crannies. Does the GF need drying out, too?

Suggest using blow dryer and a can of compressed air. Check the Keyboard and other periphery gadgets/ external drives/ speakers, etc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:09 AM

Well she's from Wisconsin but been here for a few years in texas. With me. But yea that happened and I threw her ass out. I've got it tore completely down and I'm rotating parts in the oven on low.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

Be careful using the oven. Heat can damage some of the parts.

For future reference, another way to dry out the parts:

For this you can use zip lock plastic bag or bowl with a top.

Put rice in whatever you use, place the parts in the plastic bag or bowl and close it.

Let them sit for 2 or 3 days in the rice. It will absorb the moisture from the parts.

#5 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

I never took it past 125 and was very careful handling it all times. I rotated all my parts boards and wires thru the oven.

#6 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:36 AM

It all looks good but I'm still scared. Its been 2 days but I CNT bring myself to actually power it up.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

did the power supply get any moisture ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

The whole thing was soaked.

#9 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

Ahahaaa its alive!!! I did all I could to not plug it up but I got the better of myself and did it anyways. Well it successfully has been fixed

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:50 AM

Now all you have to figure out....is your girlfriend...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

Problem solved moments after what she did

#12 Kuszotke

Kuszotke

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

She did it on purpose?

#13 NoRemorse2291

NoRemorse2291
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

Yep.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

Ah ha... Wisconsin import....that helps to explain why she used a 12 oz. instead of a 12 guage....:)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users