Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 foxslink

foxslink

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:53 AM

Hi folks, in less than a week my old man is traveling to the USA, so this is the best chance to get a new GPU , since these are too expensive in my homeland.( I currently have a 7970 that im still trying to sell ) so i was thinking to buy the gtx 1060 or 1070 of nvdia , or the rx 480/ 470 of amd, is 470 enough? the idea is to have a  future proof GPU and the most powerful for gaming at 1080p, i have a budget of 500 USD.  im using now a dell u2414h monitor so maybe in the future I could sell it and get a 1440p one. I have found these models , could you help me choose? :

id appreciate your help and I look forward to your reply

Edited by foxslink, 19 August 2016 - 01:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

Sapphire RX 480 is most future proof choice of those.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

The RX 480, followed by the GTX 1070.  However, you shouldn't pay more than $250 for an RX 480 reference design, $299 for an aftermarket RX 480 design.  With inventory shortages, prices are high for the RX 480.

3939.png

#4 foxslink

foxslink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:05 PM

im back and gracias for your support !.im from Chile and here 1070 costs almost 250 usd more than in US, 480 is pricey too and there is shortage, no relatives / friends are travelling to US any time soon so this is a one time chance to get an affordable decent upgrade. International warranty might possibly be an important factor as well, are MSI and EVGA the only ones with it? however if my dad could test the card on the store it would be even better . He is going first to Washington and then he heads to Denver, i think WA has more PC stores, right? another option is i could save a bit on the GPU by going for 480 and put the spare cash on an SSD , monitor or whatnot, but thats not a priority and SSDs can wait, dont you think?

im worried 1070 at 1080p gaming would be overkill and if it hits above 60fps my monitor wont be able to make the most out of it cuz of the 60hz, isnt it useless then? maybe i should get a 144hz mon but thats another story. Seems everyone favors the green side this time and i agree with you . Now its time to choose the 1070 brand, which one would be the safest, best option? Cant wait to hear from you amigos

Edited by foxslink, 20 August 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:01 AM

Red side is much better in fact this time because red side is much better for DirectX 12/Mantle/Vulkan.

For 60Hz monitor I see no sense with GTX 1070 anyway. RX 470, RX 480 or even R9 380 (if cheap enough) are better choices.

#6 foxslink

foxslink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:02 PM

What aboout the monitor upgrade? is Gsync too much compared to Freesync? the problem is i cant buy good cards on good prices every year, so 1070 would last more and could be more possible to sell in my country.  Also 480 are almost all out of stock, in that case id have to get a 470 and is that good enough? Thanks for your help

Edited by foxslink, 21 August 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

What aboout the monitor upgrade? is Gsync too much compared to Freesync? the problem is i cant buy good cards on good prices every year, so 1070 would last more and could be more possible to sell in my country.  Also 480 are almost all out of stock, in that case id have to get a 470 and is that good enough? Thanks for your help

Gsync is more expensive than Freesync. Also Freesync is supported buy AMD and Intel, Gsync is Nvidia only. RX 470 is quite cheap option and matches quite good for 1080p @ 60 Hz. Graphic card prices are very high just now so RX 470 makes lot of sense.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:27 AM

Also Freesync is supported buy AMD and Intel

Freesync is AMD only.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

Also Freesync is supported buy AMD and Intel

Freesync is AMD only.

Adaptive sync is supported by Intel and Freesync is same as Adaptive sync. So Intel supports Freesync if it supports Adaptive sync and other way around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users