Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOOTMGR Missing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mark117

mark117

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

BOOTMGR Missing

I would like to install an operating system, but cannot even do this!

The computer had windows 7 on it. The SSD (“hard drive”) was removed and reformatted using another computer.

Now I cannot even load an operating system because after powering on I just get a message:

“Boot MGR is missing

Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart”

So this is what I have done so far:

1. Checked all cables

2. Tried to install windows 10 from a CD

3. Tried to install windows 7 from a CD

4. Physically changed the optical (CD/DVD) hardware

5. Physically changed the SSD “hard drive” to a new SATA hard drive

6. Cleared the CMOS Setting by moving the jumper pins and restarting the computer

7. updated the BIOS (successfully) from a USB.

Each time I start the computer I still get:

Boot Mgr is missing!

Is this perhaps a problem that the SSD was reformatted with another window machine?

Can anyone please help?

Where is this Boot MGR located?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

Check your Boot Order in the BIOS and make sure you are booting from the correct drive.  If the machine is trying to boot from a drive that is not bootable you will receive this message.

#3 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hi - I'm Callum.

First of all Kilroy is right, it could be your boot order! You will have to check your boot order to make sure you are booting off a CD (If Windows is installed on a CD) or that you're booting off a USB (if Windows is installed on a USB). You can change your boot order whilst booting up by pressing one of the following : ESC, F1,F2,F8 OR F10. Which key to press depends on what brand your machine is.

If that fixes your problem then great! If not, then carry on reading. 

If your boot order is correct and all cables are correct and it doesnt even install on a different hard drive and different optical drive, this could point to possibly corrupted files on your CD or USB. Did you buy a retail version of Windows 7/10? If you downloaded it off the internet via ISO, I recommend redownloading it to a fresh CD / USB as the files could be corrupt on the old one.

If you know for sure that the files aren't corrupt, I suggest taking a look at this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1945283/fix-bootmgr-missing-error.html 

Let me know if it works please.

Edited by Voidz, 19 August 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#4 mark117

mark117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have solved the problem

The SSD is so fast I did not notice the line "press any key to boot from ..."

this instruction appears for less than one second and then it is replaced with "boot mgr is missing"

hahaha

so I pressed the space bar and it worked

Thanks again

#5 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:21 AM

I'm glad you were able to fix this issue, feel free to post another thread if you have anymore issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users