Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10/Ubuntu dual boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DSTY

DSTY

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:47 PM

I am thinking of buying a used 512GB SSD for Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu. I will only be playing games in Windows and do the rest in Ubuntu. I've seen a lot of recommendations installing Windows 10 first. Is it because of stability or convenience from GRUB? In case Windows 10 gets full, is it alright to combine another SSD to a partitioned disk? Does is have to be the same SSD model for stability? What drivers to install other than LAN and graphics? I'm not sure whether Intel or Realtek drivers needs to be downloaded from the board manufacturer. Various versions of Visual C++ and NET Framework are installed from games or software and if I just install the latest one, do I need the previous versions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

I've seen a lot of recommendations installing Windows 10 first. Is it because of stability or convenience from GRUB?

Configuring the Windows boot loader is a massive pain in the butt, It completely overwrites any other boot loader, so if you have Linux installed already you can no longer boot Linux without playing around for hours or reinstalling Grub from a boot CD. Its just easier to install Windows first.

How To Install Ubuntu Linux Alongside Windows 10 (UEFI)

Have you tried running Ubuntu from a USB drive yet (before you attempt to install it on your computer) to see whether it is compatible with your hardware. If not, then I strongly recommend that you do so, as this will make no material changes to your machine, and will enable you to see whether you still have the same problems as you had before (or not as the case might be).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623970/migrating-from-windows-7-to-ubuntu/

Edited by NickAu, 19 August 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#3 DSTY

DSTY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

I've thought about clean installing Windows 10 on my current 128 GB drive instead of buying a used 512 GB SSD. Partition 25 GB to Ubuntu just before installing it. But I would need more space for gaming. Would it be more stable to RAID(combine) another SSD to C drive or just use it separately as D drive? Also I have a 1TB drive that is barely filled and load times in games are significantly long compared to SSD. Sometimes there are heavy frame drops near the loading section. I will install all programs to my main drive. There's one thing that confuses me a lot. Some say SSD gives huge improvement in gaming performance, frame drops and stabilize conflicts between programs. Conflicts which are errors that happen when playing games. For example, if Steam is installed on the main drive and games are run in secondary drives, it can cause conflict in the system. Is this a complete myth or are some parts of it true?

Edited by DSTY, 19 August 2016 - 09:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users