Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restricting Internet Access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NoKtRnL

NoKtRnL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

Here's my issue...

I need to restrict Internet access on several computers in my network but I still need them to be able to see other network services. I used to do this with CyberSitter and it worked great for what I needed, but now I need to install a new program on many of these clients and the new program will not work on a computer that has a program like CyberSitter installed. (Probably a port issue, but even forwarding does not fix it)

The users are Power Users so I have removed all the browsers and they can't reinstall them without admin rights...Except for IE!!! There's so many different ways to get Windows to open IE that I need a different solution for Explorer. I'm using both 2000 and XP machines.

Does anyone know of a way to kill internet access (for IE), without killing network access, using either the hosts file or some other security protocol within Windows?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

I think there may be something in this Windows XP Newsgroup thread that can help you.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 NoKtRnL

NoKtRnL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:42 AM