Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This incredible map shows the movement of every ship on the planet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:09 PM

Each tiny dot on this captivating interactive map represents a single cargo ship plying the waters of the world.

The mesmerizing digital rendition of global shipping routes is the result of a collaboration between data visualization firm Kiln and University College Londons Energy Institute.

It shows the movement of thousands of commercial vessels across the worlds oceans throughout 2012 based on hundreds of millions of individually recorded positions.

As its creators note, the map (below), which was published online in recent days and spotted by Motherboard, shows how ships can move with relative freedom through the open ocean, while routes closer to land require careful management take a look at the clearly defined lanes through the English Channel to see what they mean.

Click the link for an interactive map and a detailed explanation
https://www.shipmap.org/
this-incredible-map-shows-the-movement-o

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Interesting! Nice find :thumbup2:

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:58 AM

I found the bit about CO2 emissions very revealing. Diesel is probably the main culprit, I suppose, Very large liners use electricity to power their propellers, but of course the electricity has to be produced onboard by other engines. If we could get rid of all the CO2 emissions by these ships, our governments could forget about carbon footprints, or could they? Thanks NickAu for not throwing this one out of the window!!

Edited by georgehenry, 19 August 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:26 AM

I was astounded by the numbers.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

Fascinating map. The reason of course for the heavy regulation in the English Channel was the high incidence of collisions - night, fog or bright sunshine ship drivers still managed to run into each other. Eventually the various Coastguard and other maritime authorities put a mandatory agreement into effect to introduce traffic control, which is strictly enforced.

I did notice that at least the standard map doesn't show the various cross-channel ferries. Good thing for the nerves, that would look like fairground dodgems and might put me off using ferries for life. Yes, there is always the channel tunnel but at the times I cross it is far too expensive, typically twice the ferry fare.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

I live about 20 minutes from the channel tunnel. When it first opened they had special offers. I went across several times for less than £5. I don't go over at all now. I don't like running the gauntlet of Calais.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

The biggest problem I have with Dover is that it is 500 miles, 800 Km, give or take, from my front door. In any case you don't have to route Dover - Calais. DFDS, at least, run a Dover - Dunkirk service and there are of course plenty of other services running from ports a little further away from New Romney. Actually it is returning to the UK that tries my patience with the inspections and paper checks. All because we didn't sign up to the Schenken agreement. I have crossed other borders in Europe and not even noticed they were there, Belgium - Holland comes to mind.

But to come back to this map, 500 yard margins are not uncommon with ferries. OK, 500 yards is a reasonable margin but it does rely on having watchkeepers on the bridge who are actually watching. And largish ships do not manouevre very quickly.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users