Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentified Network/No Internet issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tzoromski135

tzoromski135

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:35 PM

Hi all,

I'm currently extremely flustered and confused about my issue - I don't know if it's a hardware problem or windows settings issue, so I'm posting it here.

Just some basic information - I have a very old custom built PC I made about 10-15 years ago that when Windows 10 came out, the analyzer claimed my system was good to go - so I upgraded to the FREE Windows 10.  I have been having issues with blue screens - mainly due to my NVIDIA graphics card that Microsoft had installed a driver for - of course, NVIDIA will not issue a new driver to make it Windows 10 stable.

Fast forward to 8/17/16: The morning started just fine - computer booted up and I had internet access - no problems whatsoever until about 10am when I suffered a Blue Screen: "page fault in nonpaged area".  When my computer rebooted, I had the Yellow triangle with "!" in it with "unidentified network - no internet" when hovering the cursor over it.  I was flabbergasted - I have a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 modem and I have Charter as my provider.  The modem had all its lights on and I turned to my laptop which I was updating programs on and the laptop has internet through the Ethernet and Wifi, so I am confused why my PC cannot connect.

I tried the diagnostics through windows 10 -found no issues.  I unplugged the ethernet cable from my PC from the back of the modem and the icon on the PC screen went from the yellow icon to the red "x", so the ethernet adapter was seeing the modem, but the modem was not "talking" to my PC.  I checked the Ethernet connection - the PC is sending "packets" but is not receiving anything in return.

I reset the IP, DNS, WinSock and even did a HARD reset on the modem and I still cannot get online using my PC.  I've tried almost everything I can find on Google to get my PC back online to no avail.  Of course, Charter refuses to try helping me diagnose the problem because the modem I have is not rented from them - I own my modem.

Any ideas what is going on? How do I fix this?  Is it my modem?  My phone and laptop as well as streaming devices all work fine - it's just my PC not getting through.

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2016 - 10:00 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Win 10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

I would surmise that this is a Windows 10 problem. Upgrading an OS on top of an OS sometimes does not go well. You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and do a clean install or revert back to Windows 7 which I would advise for a 10 year old computer. Windows 10 is going to have two more major updates in 2017 and who knows if your hardware will be supported. 7 is good till 2020. 

If you want to verify if this is a hardware issue I would download a live linux disk like Mint. Being 10 to 15 years old may be an issue. What is the CPU and RAM on the computer. For an older computer you can download Mint Xfce or if you have a fairly good processor with 1GB or more of ram then use Mint Cinnamon. Burn the disk to a DVD. For your older computer I would recommend Mint 17.2 either Xfce or Cinnamon. If you connect via Ethernet Mint will autodetect your NIC and you should be able to get online. It should also autodetect and Wifi adapter if you have one. The live linux disk will run from the DVD and RAM so it may be a little slow but you should at least determine if your problem is hardware or software.

https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

#3 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

I would surmise that this is a Windows 10 problem. Upgrading an OS on top of an OS sometimes does not go well. You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and do a clean install or revert back to Windows 7 which I would advise for a 10 year old computer. Windows 10 is going to have two more major updates in 2017 and who knows if your hardware will be supported. 7 is good till 2020. 

If you want to verify if this is a hardware issue I would download a live linux disk like Mint. Being 10 to 15 years old may be an issue. What is the CPU and RAM on the computer. For an older computer you can download Mint Xfce or if you have a fairly good processor with 1GB or more of ram then use Mint Cinnamon. Burn the disk to a DVD. For your older computer I would recommend Mint 17.2 either Xfce or Cinnamon. If you connect via Ethernet Mint will autodetect your NIC and you should be able to get online. It should also autodetect and Wifi adapter if you have one. The live linux disk will run from the DVD and RAM so it may be a little slow but you should at least determine if your problem is hardware or software.

https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

My computer has been running Windows 10 for some time now with just a few erratic blue screens due to the NVIDIA graphics card not having a proper driver - I didn't have any internet connectivity issues until now.

M PC has an AMD Athlon 64 5600 dual core processor, 3 gb ram and 600 GB HD.  My Video card is an ATI RADEON 4300/5000 series.

Going to a linux operating system or rolling back to Windows 7 isn't possible without losing all my programs that I don't have discs for - plus I'm about 4 months past the 30 day roll back window - I can't lose that stuff until I have the funds to replace it all with new.  I just need my internet back up on the PC so I can conduct business as usual.  If it's a setting, I have yet to find the problem..the ethernet card is trying to communicate with the modem, but the modem is not responding, however my laptop connects by wifi and ethernet just fine and my streaming device works fine.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Download Windows Repair. Only check Network Repair. Reboot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#5 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

Download Windows Repair. Only check Network Repair. Reboot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

I was able to get back online by doing a Windows Restore from 8 days ago.  It would've been hard to get online and download the all in one repair tool if I didn't have internet access. 

Even after the restore, I had an endless "reboot & blue screen 0xc000021a" error code which I eventually overcame somehow.  I did a SFC check via command prompt which found no issues with my system files.  I found it strange given that I had just experienced a constant blue screen and reboot cycle that lasted about 30 minutes.  I thought I lost any chance of Windows 10 working again. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

Glad you got your Windows back. It was my intention to download the tool on another computer and save it to a flash drive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users