Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Cloud Server

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

So the NFL (National Football league) season is about to begin in a few weeks here in the US. I have been doing a yearly "pick 'em" league with some very close friends and its evolved over the years. Last year we finally went to a google docs version of the game where I updated the weekly scores of each game and how many picks everyone got right/wrong.

I wanted to get a hosting service this year and get a website everyone could go to and put in their picks each week (eliminate the hassle of doing all the mundane tasks). Through some google-foo I found phppickem. A fully functional php site to do NFL picks. After two different tries of hosting the website (first one was through bluehost - absolutely garbage, second try on my own server - sort of worked but email function broke) I found DigitalOcean. They are a cloud computing hosting service.

Anyway - mostly all that just to say if anyone out here wants to play around with cloud servers, check out Digital Ocean. $5 a month gets you a 1 CPU, 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD server. I am pleasantly surprised on how quick this thing is! I log in via SSH and absolutely no lag or anything. I am currently running mysql, php, wordpress, and ssmtp on Ubuntu 16.04 32bit. Not too shabby for a tiny little machine.

So yeah, all that long winded stuff just to say if you were wanting to check out cloud servers (running linux) check DO out. I have been having fun getting a php site going on it.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 18 August 2016 - 04:10 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users