Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to reset my PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 calvinng84

calvinng84

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

Hi all, I'm running on windows 10 and unable to reset my laptop and an error states "Could not find the recovery environment"
I've an initially windows 8.1 laptop and upgraded to windows 10 few months ago.
However, I wish to reset my PC and encountered the above error message. 

Would like to seek expert advice from fellow users, thank you very much. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 August 2016 - 06:27 PM.
Moved from Win 10 Discussion to Win 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

A reset would wipe your personal data and programs installed. If that is your intention you can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and do a clean install.

This guide is for Windows 8 but the steps hold true for Windows 10.

Have you thought about doing a Refresh instead of a Reset?

#3 calvinng84

calvinng84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hi JohnC_21, thank you for your prompt response. I intend to reset my laptop and (still keep my files), not formatting the entire windows. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

If that is the case I think you should do a Refresh but even a Refresh will cause you to lose your apps and programs. Windows 10 lost the Refresh and Reset nomenclature and it's simply keep my files and remove everything. 

On a upgrade to Windows 10 there should be a partition approx 450MB called a Recovery Partition. You should be able to see this in Disk Management. Right Click Computer > Manage > Disk Management. If you see this partition it's possible it became corrupted. 

You need to download Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool and do a Reset (keep my files) using it.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html  Your error is noted at step 4 or option 2 and refers you to using options 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users