Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft has open-sourced PowerShell for Linux, Macs.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

Microsoft has published PowerShell, its scripting and automation platform, as open source under the permissive MIT licence, as well as porting it to Linux and Mac, with an alpha build now available on GitHub.

PowerShell is built on Microsoft's .NET platform, and one of the enabling pieces here is .NET Core, the refactored fork of .NET which runs cross-platform. PowerShell "Core" has already turned up on Nano Server, the barebones edition of Windows Server 2016, and the newly announced release will run on .NET Core on Mac and Linux.

The initial Linux support is for Ubuntu, CentOS and RedHat. "Others will follow," said Jeffrey Snover, a Microsoft technical fellow and creator of PowerShell, speaking to The Reg. "And we’re open-sourcing it. That’s the source code for PowerShell Windows, which is the version that runs on the full CLR, as well as the PowerShell Core."

Another key announcement is that OpenSSH – for remote login using the SSH protocol – will be integrated into PowerShell. "We’re embedding it into the heart of PowerShell," said Snover. "We’re layering the PowerShell remoting protocol over OpenSSH, as a native transport. Customers will be able to choose the existing WinRM protocol or OpenSSH."

Article

Sorry, but I wouldn't put this on a linux box to save my soul.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

Yeah I don't think many Linux users will use powershell on their machines. Especially when MS basically copied a lot of the commands over to their platform. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:28 AM

Why would you want Powershell when you already have Bash (or any of the other Linux shells) ????

I suppose it might have some administrative use on a hybrid network, where there are both Linux and Windows machines present, but just exactly what that would be is beyond me at present.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:02 AM

Microsoft is looking to the future, and it isn't  Windows.

Edited by NickAu, 19 August 2016 - 01:28 AM.
Typo

#5 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:48 AM

Perhaps for ransomware to work on Linux as well?  By letting random processes be elevated to root by unforeseen vulnerabilities in the PowerShell?  ;-)

Edited by DodoIso, 23 August 2016 - 01:49 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:42 AM

And the problems begin.

Your wget is broken and should DIE, dev tells Microsoft
PowerShell applause sours as curl dev doesn't care much for Redmond's alias either

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

I hope Linux Mint will remove PowerShell because I don't want my Linux system to get infected with Windows malware. :(

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:03 AM

We don't need Microsoft code on our *nix systems, pure & simple! :thumbsup:

All it'll be doing is opening backdoors for Malware to sneak through, a huge reason why many Linux users parted ways with Windows. Should we start getting a lot of Microsoft code in our OS's, we'll have no choice than to install some type of security, as Windows users must have. 

This is why many also has resisted WINE, even in cases where it could had been of benefit, the risk outweighed the convenience of the desired feature (example, installing MS Office on Linux). Or Pipelight as a Silverlight replacement, which last year I was suckered into for an hour, until I realized that I had WINE on my system, then Pipelight & the rest that came with it had to go. :P

Took an hour for me to purge all of the files, and had to check a tab to 'show all files' to see what was installed. Otherwise, would not had got rid of these, because by default, were hidden. If I want to watch Netflix/Hulu, will use either my Windows 8.1 or 10 installs to do so, or better yet, my Linux powered Vizio smart TV. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users