Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Games Crash Every Random Amount of Time

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ryxas248

ryxas248

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hi.

So I've been having a massive problem with my computer: My games keep crashing. Whether it's after 2 minutes or 2 hours, most of them eventually crash. I've noticed that the "High-requirement" games such as Overwatch and The Witcher 3 are the ones that crash the most. Now I've tried a whole bunch of things: Increase fan speed, increased core voltage, cleaned out my computer of dust, uninstalled then reinstalled my graphics driver, removed my old anti-virus program, disabled "NVIDIA Streaming Service" service, even gave a good look at gpu and cpu temperatures during gameplay and none of these things seem to work.

I don't have any money to afford a new gpu if it's faulty, so I really hope to find any other solutions before I have to replace it with the money I don't have. At first I thought it was because of the room temperature, since it's been very warm in the summer, yet when I play games such as Overwatch on Medium-High quality, the temperature of my gpu and cpu are usually 50-65 degrees celsius, which I've heard is normal. I've done clean installations of my graphics/display drivers so I honestly don't think that's the issue. I heard that just installing the driver from the installation CD and stopping any future updates on the driver might work, but I highly doubt it. Here are my specifications:

MSI Twin Frozr NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @3.20GHz (4GPUs) (Also have Intel® HD Graphics 4600, but I think that's included with the processor, unsure)

8192MB RAM

2TB Hard Drive

HP 22" Monitor

DirectX 11

System Model: H81M-S2PV

I'm on my last legs, I have absolutely no idea what to do.  Unfortunately, I really have no idea what to doI'll bookmark this post and check every day for replies and respond ASAP with anymore information you need or any advice you have. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hi- My computer used to crash randomly and sometimes, it would be hard to even start up. This was from an unstable overclock, since you said you increased CPU voltage, have you overclocked recently?

Crashes can also be caused by a faulty/dying PSU.

How to check a PSU - http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/

Let me know how things go.

#3 ryxas248

ryxas248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

I've had a look at temperatures of my components and the only problems I can see are my battery and my RAM. Since I'm assuming my computer would crash altogether if it was that, I'm going to assume it's my RAM. Is there a way I can cool down my RAM using any software or do I need to buy a fan or a heatsink for my RAM?

#4 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

I dont think theres really a fan for RAM specifically, just make sure your computer has good airflow generally. Also, how are you monitoring the temperature of your RAM? I know of no such software that detects RAM temperature.

#5 ryxas248

ryxas248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

The only way I monitored was actually physically checking the heat coming from my RAM. I checked this after a game would crash. And apparently there are some "Memory fans", but maybe they're bogus, I don't know.

#6 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

I've just researched a little on this topic and the most recent discussion I found about them was in 2012, where someone asked if RAM fans were worth it, the general consensus was that they did work but wasn't needed.

The link to the discussion: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/704575-Ram-fan-really-worth-it

You can decide whether you buy it or not, just know that it is most likely not going to be worth it or change anything.

RAM usage can be a cause of crashes/freezes, but I doubt just having your game open will use up all of your 8 GB's of RAM.. Do you have any other programs open while you game? 

EDIT: By the way, in your original post when you said you got rid of your old Anti Virus, did you get a new Anti Virus that was fully updated and do a scan?

Edited by Voidz, 22 August 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#7 ryxas248

ryxas248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Not usually, no. I mean on occasion I might have Firefox or a media player open for my secondary monitor but not much else, really. I can run a quick game of Evolve (Crashes on there too) and check my CPU usage on MSI Afterburner and get back to you.

#8 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

Could you also tell me what PSU you use please?

Also, when you crash, please go to eventviewer 

(How to get to event viewer:

1. Press Windows button and R simultaneously

2. In the box that appears, type "eventvwr"

3. Press enter.)

When in event viewer, please go to Windows- Applications and look for an error log with an "!" by it.

Edited by Voidz, 22 August 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#9 ryxas248

ryxas248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Had a game which took much longer than it shouldn, didn't run anything in the backgroudn, RAM usage up to 5.4k and pagefile usage up to almost 6.6k. I have a Corsair 500W PSU also.

#10 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Did your game crash so you can get the event viewer logs or was it OK? and you didnt answer my questions about the anti virus, did you get a new one and run a full scan after you got rid of your old anti virus?

#11 ryxas248

ryxas248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

Yeah the game didn't crash. And I did a full scan after I installed the new anti virus, I don't believe any viruses were found.

#12 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

Ok good, post on here again when you crash on a game, and please post the logs from event viewer, refer to post #8 to get onto event viewer and then we will be able to see more about the problem.

#13 ryxas248

ryxas248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

Yeah I will man thanks :) I'll let you know ASAP

#14 ryxas248

ryxas248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

Okay sooooo this is weird. I've been trying all day to get my games to crash to check the Event Viewer. But it hasn't crashed yet xD I've been playing Witcher 3, Overwatch, Evolve. and they're all working as intended xD

The only thing I can think of that may have fixed it (Hopefully has) is I removed my RAM from my motherboard, blew into the RAM slots, gave the RAM a quick clean because it had a little bit of dust on it, then put the RAM into my other RAM slot. Maybe my RAM just needed a bit of cleaning, or wasn't fitted properly? I mean I did move home about 2 months ago and that's when the crashes started occuring more frequently, so maybe that's the reason?

I'll notify you tomorrow and tell you if any of my games have crashed or not.

#15 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:36 AM

Ok thats good, I hope that the problem has been fixed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users