Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive (in enclosure) will not show up despite spinning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 princess1221792003

princess1221792003

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

External Hard drive (in enclosure) will not show up despite spinning and the enclosure works with other Hard Drives

This HD has my child's baby pictures on it...so I am looking for steps to take to access the images and files to save them to another soruce.

40GBvAT Maxtor D740X-6L is written on the hard drive

I am using a Windows laptop....I believe its been updated to Win 10

What can I try?

What other info is needed to help?

I am just sick over the loss of baby pictures...if it wasn't for the pic, I'd toss the thing.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

Attach the hard drive to your computer. Open Disk Management. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Is the external drive listed? If it is what is listed for the drive? Does it say RAW or Not Initialized?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:50 AM

Get yourself a USB hard drive adapter.  I'd recommend getting one that supports both IDE and SATA, so you're covered no matter what drive is inside the enclosure.

Next remove the drive from the enclosure and connect with the adapter.

I've seen many of the controller boards fail on external drives.  If you can't read the drive with the USB adapter there are most likely issues with the drive itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users