Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow startup but low cpu usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oolongtea

oolongtea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

Hi,

I've been experiencing a big increase in startup time these past months, and unexpectedly my cpu usage seems to stay quite low (~20%) during most of the process. Note that my windows install is around 4 yrs old, so I'm bound to have few things slowing it down in any case.

By experience I know that my skype logging in is a good indication of the startup being nearly over (ie, a few things are still running in the background, but any program I open launches fairly quickly). This used to take three to four minutes a few months back. Now, it takes more than 10min with no particular increase in cpu usage. Just as if the startup process had recently become very lazy and was taking its time.

Would any of you have some tips to determine what is actually happening?

Is there a way to monitor the process activity during startup to single out what might be causing a bottleneck of some sort?

I've also run virus & malware scans to be sure, but nothing turns up. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

HI- To check startup programs , you can simply press Windows button + R and then type in "msconfig" in the space provided. Just uncheck the programs you dont want to launch at startup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users