Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten password

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

I always advise if you don't need don't put one on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Anyway I went to a buddies house to help with his brand new dell with Win 7 machine, fixed him up with all the usual tools for safty and ran the update while we went to eat.  When done he said he wanted a password, as usual I was reluctant!  He insisted so I put one one ans told him to write it down and thought I saw him doing so.  Got a call 20 minutes ago YUP he forgot and can not find the written note now I need to help him out.  Will Ophcrack or something similar do the job?

Frustrated PHIL!

Edited by OldPhil, 18 August 2016 - 11:16 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Instead of using Ophcrack enable the hidden Adminstrator Account using this guide. The guide links to a download but the site has a newer version. I would only enable the Administrator account, not reset his password. Once in the Administrator account you can change the password of his account.

If the computer is UEFI then you will need to use Rufus with the iso of the utility in order to boot or change your settings in UEFI to enable Legacy or CSM boot.

Video

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

John it is brand out of the box Dell Optiplex 790 W7 machine, if that helps with your thoughts.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

If you can get to Advanced Boot Options > Repair Computer by tapping F8 at boot open a command prompt and type the following  but I think it will still ask for his password.

net user administrator /active:yes

1373025399416.VistaFactoryRestoreDell.JP

If it's brand new out of the box you should be able to do a factory reset if your friend has not added any programs. Tap F8 to get to the Advanced Boot Options.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

I had an episode like this a few weeks ago, the PW is deeply encoded in the registry, something like SAM.

I made a live USB linux booter, blanked them all out and viola, after i did it i made sure that the PC was in fact an out of the box unit with a blank OS slate before returning it to the user. luckily it was and all was fair in love and PC war. If it was an active PC, i would have declined and defaulted into an ignorance song and dance routine

here is the video. really nice i thought, but instead of the CD media, i used the USB route.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=remove+windows+7+password+my+pogo&qpvt=remove+windows+7+password+my+pogo&view=detail&mid=6FDE40F001E313B8882F6FDE40F001E313B8882F&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by synergy513, 18 August 2016 - 04:10 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

That looks decent will let you know tomorrow.

Phil

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

Worked perfectly thanks a bunch!