Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot USB fails with Checking Media on all but Macrium WinPE rescue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

I am running Windows 8.0 preloaded on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop.  I have boot set to UEFI with Secure Boot disabled.  When I create any kind of boot USB such as ESET virus scanner and others, when I press F12 to boot from the USB it shows "Checking Media" for a couple of seconds, then goes right to the HD.

The only one that reliably boots is the WinPE rescue media made by Macrium Reflect.

I wonder if anyone has found a similar issue with a Toshiba Laptop and if there is a work-around.  I use an image Rollback software as well as Macrium Reflect to restore my system in case of problems.  But if I did happen to get a virus it would be nice to be able to boot a USB flash drive and clean the crap off as an alternative.

This machine is weird in that Restore Points only work 5% of the time and Windows Update never works.  That is why I use the Rollback software since it substitutes as a more complete Restore Point.  Also to save my soul I have never been able to boot a VHD of any kind in a couple of dozen attempts using various tools.  I either get Checking Image and it fails or it starts to load, then hangs.

Other that that, and having a slow Sata II spinner, the machine works pretty well.   :)

Edited by MilesAhead, 18 August 2016 - 10:53 AM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

Macrium boots because it has the SecureBoot certificate on the install media. In order to boot most other media SecureBoot needs to be disabled and possibly you would need to enable Legacy or CSM boot if the media cannot boot from UEFI. Rufus will let you create bootable media that will boot from a UEFI computer but you would still need to disable SecureBoot.

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Macrium boots because it has the SecureBoot certificate on the install media. In order to boot most other media SecureBoot needs to be disabled and possibly you would need to enable Legacy or CSM boot if the media cannot boot from UEFI. Rufus will let you create bootable media that will boot from a UEFI computer but you would still need to disable SecureBoot.

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

Secure boot is disabled as noted in my first post.  Rufus says create a USB that will boot from both UEFI and MBR.  It doesn't.  I have tried more than 1/2 dozen USB boot maker tools.  Macrium is the only one that does it.  The only exception was the install media for Windows 2012 Server R2.  But I don't really want to run that on my Lappy.

I know the Laptop is weird.  I suspect it is open box.  A third party paid for it as a gift and since it works generally it is not worth the hassle to try to return it etc..  :)\

I heard a rumor somewhere that MS put the whammy on booting complete Windows OS from USB.  That would explain stuff like Windows 7 hanging trying to load from floppy.  (Just done as an experiment.)

But something is weird in Redmond or Denmark.  Not sure which.  :)\

- Groucho Marx

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

Does this computer only have USB 3 ports? Sorry I missed the part where SecureBoot was already disabled.

Does a Windows 8.1 iso work with Rufus to create a bootable flash drive? You can use Rufus or the Media Creation tool allows you to create a USB flash drive.

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

Does this computer only have USB 3 ports? Sorry I missed the part where SecureBoot was already disabled.

Does a Windows 8.1 iso work with Rufus to create a bootable flash drive? You can use Rufus or the Media Creation tool allows you to create a USB flash drive.

No it has 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0.  I have a few Kingston USB 2.0 metal flash drives.  I have tried Macrium on a couple of them.  No problem.  But I cannot seem to get anything happening with other boot images.

Maybe what I should do is create a virus scan boot flash drive and get someone with W 8 or higher to boot it.  At least then I'll know it's not just something funky with the USB drive itself.

I used to do a lot of multi-boot in the old MBR days.  Anywhere from 2 to 6 OS on a PC with multiple Linux custom boot kernels etc..  Seems like it is overly overly since they went to GPT.  I recognize having the possibility of 128 primary partitions is way better than the old extended partition kludge.  But it's like I need to study rocket science to boot a USB now.  :(

- Groucho Marx

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

Was there a Legacy or CSM boot in UEFI settings?

If you are running 8.0 and not 8.1 there are no longer any security updates being offered. I missed that point. You need to upgrade to 8.1 to have security updates offered.

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

If you are running 8.0 and not 8.1 there are no longer any security updates being offered. I missed that point. You need to upgrade to 8.1 to have security updates offered.

That!

Follow the instructions here to upgrade to Windows 8.1: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15356/windows-8-install-update-kb-2919355

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

The boot choices are UEFI or CSM.  There is no dual mode.  Afa updating Windows Update does not work on this machine.  Any updates I tried took me through several boots only to say "Windows Update was not successful.  Rolling back."

It is not worth the risk.  As I mentioned system restore only works about 5% of the time.  I disable system protection and use Rollback RX Pro instead.  Regularly I uninstall RX and back up with Macrium.  Then I defrag and put RX back on.

I guess if I could test if an MBR based boot USB would work but I am reluctant to mess with stuff that does not understand GPT.  It might see those little extra partitions as a threat.

I am just frustrated I never got to play with VHDs I guess.  I guess I can consider this thread "solved" as I think this Laptop is a lemmon.  But it is a gift and it does work in the main so I'll hobble along with it until I can get something faster and lighter.   :)  Or a desktop, if I ever get a desk.   :)

Edited by MilesAhead, 18 August 2016 - 05:10 PM.

- Groucho Marx

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

The Windows 8.1 upgrade is available through the Windows store. Updating to 8.1 may solve your update issues. Have you tried booting your USB device in CSM mode?

#10 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

The Windows 8.1 upgrade is available through the Windows store. Updating to 8.1 may solve your update issues. Have you tried booting your USB device in CSM mode?

I don't care to upgrade.  I have a Laptop that works that I depend on.  I see no reason to risk the status quo for the nebulous benefit of security updates.  I have seen Windows Update break many machines.  When it does often this provokes a nightmare of removing the updates in all permutations until you find the culprit.  It is an insane approach.

I'll live with it as it is.

- Groucho Marx

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

Although I don't recommend you to stick with Windows 8.1 (and it is far far more stable), if you do intend to stick with Windows 8, I have an important tip: DON'T use Internet Explorer. It is vulnerable (many vulnerabilities were found and fixed) and will not be patched because it has the same support cycle as Windows 8.

Since you already got Macrium Reflect, create an image, and then upgrade to Windows 8.1, and install all the available updates. If there is a problem, you can use the Macrium PE that you can still boot into, to restore it back.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#12 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

If you're using Macrium to capture a system with Rollback Rx installed it's not going to work, it won't capture all of Rollback's components.

Going forward you may want to look into their disk imager Drive Cloner. It'll capture the Rollback Rx program and snapshots.

#13 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

If you're using Macrium to capture a system with Rollback Rx installed it's not going to work, it won't capture all of Rollback's components.

Going forward you may want to look into their disk imager Drive Cloner. It'll capture the Rollback Rx program and snapshots.

Thanks. I am aware of the hazards.  I read how to get around it in the RollbackRX forums.  I uninstall Rollback, back up with Macrium, then do any disk maintenance such as defrag etc..  Then I reinstall RollbackRX.  I have the Pro and use unattended install so I don't have to click all the settings every time.  With Macrium Server Edition incremental backups the whole maintenance procedure takes less than an hour.  It is still a pita.  But it is nice to be able to back off some messy install that changes lots of stuff just by restoring the baseline.

- Groucho Marx

#14 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

I did find another USB boot maker that works.  Aomie PE Builder Free 1.5.  I am still messing with stuff like getting the WiFi and USB mouse to work.  But it does boot to a QT file manager interface without much pain.  The touchpad works so I don't need the mouse.  But for any lengthy use touchpad does a number on my right arm.  But once I add some portable virus scan or whatnot it will be something useful.  That is if I can get the WiFi to work so the scanner can update its database.

So whatever it is, it seems the USB boot builder thing has to do it exactly how Toshiba likes it.  I just wish I could tell which ones work and which do not before going to all the trouble.  :)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  :)

AFA not using Internet Explorer I gave up on that years ago.  That was the only browser that enabled my system to be completely trashed.  A hostile BHO glommed on and proceeded to trash my system files.  The only reason I let it run is I had a kvma switch that would not switch over because I was initializing a new PC on the other side.  I figured I would rather trash the older PC as I could just wipe it an install XP Pro.  I did not want to hose the preloaded x64 Vista that was on the new system.  Speaking of IE for those who may think it is clever to use the local policy editor to disable IE, think again.  I got caught in that trap.  When you install something with Windows Installer it has higher priority than you.  So if the installer calls IE explicitly, up it comes.  It is better to rename the exe.  Removing it altogether can mess up some file explorer functions.

But I digress.  Glad to report I have some progress with the booting stuff!  :)

- Groucho Marx

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

I used Aomei PE builder with success up until a certain point where I would always get a BSOD during boot. I could never figure out the problem. It is nice because it includes there image and partition programs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 August 2016 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users