Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Windows 10 freezing with no BSOD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 avalanchis

avalanchis

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Windows 10 freezing with no BSOD.  The mouse pointer just freezes, and caps lock does not work.  This happens pretty randomly.

This problem seems that it might be related to my graphics card (a Sapphire Radeon R9 270) because when I remove it and use the on-board video, the problem seems to disappear.

I'm hoping to get some help with troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks!

Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Attaching diagnostic files.

Attached Files

#3 720noobscope

720noobscope

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

1. Do you have the Anniversary update?

2. Do you have Windows on a SSD

3. Do you have your programs and data on a seperate drive?

Then there is nothing you can do about it (besides resetting your Windows or waiting for bug fix update)  :(

My Pc also went from working to completely frozen in just a secon without bsod. ( I have W10 on 256Gb Samsung M.2 SSD and other programs and data on a 3Tb hard drive).

Microsoft already confirmed a Major Bug where your Pc can completely freeze without Bsod under this condition.

I'll link a website with an article about it: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2468019/how-to-fix-windows-10-anniversary-update

You could also try in typing in (Admin-)console "sfc /scannow" (without the ") to scan for integrity issues (Did not help for me)

Greetings Dennis

#4 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

1. Do you have the Anniversary update?

2. Do you have Windows on a SSD

3. Do you have your programs and data on a seperate drive?

1. Apparently not.  I have Version 1511 10586.545

2. Yes

3. Yes

The only thing that doesn't add up is that these problems started several months ago before I installed 1511.

I've had #2 and #3 for a long time.

Thanks for your help!

Alan

Edited by avalanchis, 18 August 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

Wait until the system freezes again, then recover and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

Wait until the system freezes again, then recover and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

That's pretty much what I did to generate the reports I uploaded above ^^^.

These were done within 10 minutes of a freeze.

I'l generate another set the next time it happens.

Thanks!

Alan

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

The purpose of the "immediate" thing is to move the errors up towards the top.  10 minutes is close enough!

Also, this gives me a point to start from in order to work backwards.

Admin log file shows problems with VMWare (mostly the hcmon.sys driver) and networking.

Please uninstall VMWare and update you networking drivers (wireless, wired, and bluetooth).

Several errors (may/may not be related to the freezes) due to USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll

This is an AsRock tool (?maybe A-Tuning?)  Please uninstall the program associated with it.

Then we sit back and see if the errors come back (then generate another Admin logfile).

Keep an eye on the temps also.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

Uninstalled VMWare.
Uninstalled ASRock App Charger v1.0.6
Uninstalled ASRock XFast RAM v3.0.3
Uninstalled A-Tuning v2.0.271

Installed lastest LAN drivers from ASRock site (Lan driver ver:20.2)

Motherboard is an ASRock Z97 Pro4 and does not have WiFi or Bluetooth on board.

I'll report back if I experience another freeze.

Thanks for the help!

Alan

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

If you have AsRock XFast LAN or XFast USB - please uninstall those also, they have been known to cause problems with some Windows systems also.

#10 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

If you have AsRock XFast LAN or XFast USB - please uninstall those also, they have been known to cause problems with some Windows systems also.

Yes, I uninstalled both of those.

Thanks!

Alan

#11 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

So it happened again just now while I was rendering some video with Adobe Media Encoder.

I'm attaching the Administrative Events log and the SpeedFan logs from before and after the freeze.

Thanks!

Alan

Attached Files

• Attached File  logs.zip   127.19KB   1 downloads

Edited by avalanchis, 22 August 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#12 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

I can reproduce it pretty reliably now by rendering a video using Adobe Media Encoder.

I tried cranking all of the fans up to 100% which might have delayed the freeze a little, but it still happened.

I'm attaching another ZIP here that contains the Administrative Events log, as well as images of Speedfan before I started up Adobe Media Encoder, and also after the freeze.

Thanks!

Alan

Attached Files

#13 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:34 PM

Bump!

Any ideas on what to try next?

#14 avalanchis

avalanchis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

I decided to play around with some of the BIOS values related to CPU overclocking.  

My motherboard (an ASRock Z97 Pro4) was set to all of the default values.  I noticed an option named "Multicore Enhancement" which was the first option on the overclocking page which was enabled.  I decided to try disabling this first.

After disabling this option, I'm able to get through a video rendering session in Adobe Media Encoder without freezing!

I did some reading on what this option does and it seems like it might have been pushing the core speeds higher than Intel intended, so hopefully this will resolve the problem for me permanently.  I'll report back if I experience any more freezes.

Thanks!

Alan

Edited by avalanchis, 23 August 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

I'm glad that you were able to find this out.

There's no sign of problems with the system - so it may be that the Adobe product is functioning as intended.

And, this may cause the conflict that you're experiencing.

In short, this appears to be an Adobe problem - maybe you can post over in their support forums to see if others have the same problem (and see if they've devised any workarounds)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users