Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI cable to connect laptop to TV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 techphobe

techphobe

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

I want to watch video from my laptop on my TV. I have a cable already but it's not long enough.

Does it make any difference if I buy a cheap longer cable like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014I8TC4E/ref=AmazonBasics_HQP_3P?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=Z0JA25Q1EP5NHG6PVWGC&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1029605127&pf_rd_i=B003RIPURU

or a shorter cable http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-interconnects/platinum-series/hdmi-1.5m/visu-innov-hdmi-new  with a coupler  https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-JOINER-COUPLER-CONNECTORS-electronics%C2%AE-Black/dp/B003RIPURU

Or should I get something more expensive?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-interconnects/qed/performance-graphite/qed-performance-e-3m

I ask because last time I was sold an expensive HDMI cable but was later told a cheap one would have been just as good.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

Don't go and buy an expensive HDMI cable. I bought the cheapest I could find on Ebay from a high rated seller and it works fine.

For laptop to TV a HDMI 1.4 cable would work fine.

This is just an example.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 August 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

I've used HDMI cables up to 25 feet . My rule is never buy the expensive ones.  Depending upon the installation, cheaper ones for permanent mounting or the moderate priced ones for those that will be plugged and un-plugged multiple times.  It's all in that slip type connector and its very small contacts.  Gold plating is just a sales gimic and is so small, it rubs off within three insertions.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

I've used HDMI cables up to 25 feet . My rule is never buy the expensive ones.  Depending upon the installation, cheaper ones for permanent mounting or the moderate priced ones for those that will be plugged and un-plugged multiple times.  It's all in that slip type connector and its very small contacts.  Gold plating is just a sales gimic and is so small, it rubs off within three insertions.

I have never witnessed gold plating to rub off on any of my cables. Gold plating is not a sales gimmick...exactly. Analog cables suffer from corrosion which degrades the signal, so gold prevents that. They are a gimmick on digital cables, like HDMI, though.

#5 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

So the top one should be fine?

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

Yes, the top/first one you linked to should be fine.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

We use amazon basics HDMI cable all the time at my job and it is fine.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

I don't know if Monoprice ships to the UK, but they are my go to place for cheap cables that work.  I've got a 50 foot HDMI cable for my entertainment system projector and have no issues with it.

#9 techphobe

techphobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users