Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cryss962

cryss962

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:09 AM

I am running Vista business edition.  Last updates ran great on July 15, 2016.  Now the Updates just keep searching and never find updates.  I have ran Microsoft Fix it, even in safe mode, I get the same thing( please see picture attached).  I have ran 6 different Malware programs and nothing malicious has been detected.  Can you help me?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hi cryss962:

If your initial "Checking for updates..." phase of Windows Update hangs for long periods of time without throwing an error, this is a widespread problem that currently affects many Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 users.

Some users find that "Checking for updates..." will eventually run to completion if you let it run for several hours, but there is also a workaround posted on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ that speeds up Windows Update for most affected users.  This workaround requires users to pre-install the Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates listed on that webpage if any are missing from your system before running Windows Update.  I've used Dalai's workaround for the past three Patch Tuesdays (the second Tuesday of each month) and it's reduced my "Checking for updates..." search for available updates from 6 or 7 hours down to approx. 25 min.

The current list of Win32K.sys updates on Dalai's webpage as of 09-Aug-2016 is: KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (rel. 12-Apr-2016); KB3164033 (rel. 14-Jun-2016); KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016). You only have to install the updates that are missing from your system, so if you were fully patched as of the end of July 2016 you should only have to manually install the latest KB3177725 (MS16-098: Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers: August 9, 2016) before you run Windows Update to install your remaining August 2016 Patch Tuesday updates.

The step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum will guide you through the process of installing the standalone update packages (.msu files) for your missing Win32K.sys update(s).

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.1 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 18 August 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#3 cryss962

cryss962
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Edited by cryss962, 19 August 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#4 cryss962

cryss962
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

After 3 days  Windows Update finally quit searching and gave me an error 8024402C. I tried Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ and it would not complete due to appidsvc service failed to stop.  I tried installing updates with the stand alone installer and it would only install the first update all other updates said they were not require for my computer.  So I searched remedies for error 8024402C and did the following along with making sure internet explorer was set to automatically detecting settings:

go to RUN
enter " ncpa.cpl " right click on the network you are using for internet
go to properties
now click on ipv4 setting
again go to properties
click "  Use the following DNS server adresses "
enter preferred DNS server 8.8.8.8
and alternate 8.8.4.4

After a restart of my computer Windows Updates detected and installed the 4 remaining updates immediately.  I have searched for Updates again after the restart of all updates and it says my computer is up to date.  Everything seems to be back in working order.  I hope all goes well after this.  Thanks for your help

Edited by cryss962, 19 August 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#5 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:13 PM

After 3 days  Windows Update finally quit searching and gave me an error 8024402C. I tried Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ and it would not complete due to appidsvc service failed to stop.  I tried installing updates with the stand alone installer and it would only install the first update all other updates said they were not require for my computer.  So I searched remedies for error 8024402C and did the following along with making sure internet explorer was set to automatically detecting settings...

Hi cryss962:

Please see msvista2001's thread vista stuck on "checking for updates" in the MS Answers forum.  These days it's not unusual for Vista SP2 users to see these 8024402C errors when they run the MS FixIT tool for Windows Update.  The Microsoft support article I got an error code from Windows Update shows that error 8024402C for Vista is a generic error warning that Windows Update had a problem connecting to the backend Microsoft update server.

Did you follow STEP # 1 in the 16-Jun-2016 instructions m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum and disable your automatic Windows Updates (Never check for updates) and re- boot to stop any Windows Update session running in the background?  I suspect it wasn't necessary to reconfigure the DNS server address in the TCP/IP settings for you network connection, especially if the LAN settings in IE were ready set for automatically detection (Tools | Internet Options | Connections | LAN settings | Automatic configuration | Automatically detect settings).  The re-boot of your computer probably helped more than any change you made to your TCP/IP settings, so monitor your system for a few days just in case these new settings create problems with your network connection.

Attached File  IE9 LAN Automatic Configuration Aug 2016.png   8.34KB   0 downloads

I'm not certain if by "first update" you meant the oldest Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015) or the latest KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016), but STEP # 3 of the instructions in m#l's thread should have helped you determine which updates on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/  were missing and needed to be installed on your system.   The MS support article "The update is not applicable to your computer" error when you install Windows updates notes that this "not applicable" error usually appears if you run a standalone update package (.msu file) that is the wrong bitness for your OS (e.g., you try to install a 64-bit installer on a 32-bit OS) or the update is already installed on your system.  You said in your original post that "Last updates ran great on July 15, 2016" so STEP # 3 of the instructions should have confirmed that the the latest KB3177725 (MS16-098: Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers: August 9, 2016) was the only Win32K.sys update missing from your system.

Dalai's workaround is only a temporary workaround and your slow Windows Updates will likely return when the September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates are released on 13-Sep-2016 (the second Tuesday of the month).  If a new Win32K.sys update is released next month a download link will be added to Dalai's webpage shortly after 13-Sep-2016, and that new Win32K.sys update will have to be pre-installed to prevent Windows Update from getting stuck again when you try to install your September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.1 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 19 August 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#6 sassylady2001

sassylady2001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

I take it this post applies only to Vista.  I have been having the same problem with Windows update with Windows 7 since March 2016.  I noticed I wasn't getting updates.  I tried everything I could find on the internet to fix the problem.  I restored the computer back to factory settings.  No luck.  Still won't download updates.   I also note I do not have the watadminsvc.exe file on my computer at all.

Edited by sassylady2001, 20 August 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

I take it this post applies only to Vista.  I have been having the same problem with Windows update with Windows 7 since March 2016.  I noticed I wasn't getting updates.  I tried everything I could find on the internet to fix the problem.  I restored the computer back to factory settings.  No luck.  Still won't download updates.   I also note I do not have the watadminsvc.exe file on my computer at all.

Hi sassylady2001:

Sadly, these "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates currently affect both Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 users, and I doubt it's a coincidence that Microsoft has ended mainstream support and only provides extended support (security updates only) for both these operating systems.  See the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet for more info.

Fortunately, the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum will work for Win 7 SP1 as well as Vista SP2.  When you reach Step # 4 of the instructions, just use the appropriate Win 7 links on Dalia's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ (i.e., Win 7 x64 if you have a 64-bit Win 7 OS; Win 7 x86 if you have a 32-bit Win 7 OS) to download the correct standalone update packages (.msu files) for the missing Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates on your system.

Those instructions assume that the SP1 service pack for Win 7 is already installed on your system.  Depending on date you purchased your computer, you might also find that all six Win32K.sys updates currently listed on Dalai's webpage are missing from your system and have to be manually installed because you performed a factory reset.  As of today (20-Aug-2016) that list of updates is KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (rel. 12-Apr-2016); KB3164033 (rel. 14-Jun-2016); KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016).

You might find some useful hints in Microsoft MVP Woody Leonhard's 09-Aug-2016 entry on his Woody on Windows InfoWorld blog titled 2 easy steps to speed up Windows 7 Update scans that also includes detailed instructions for using Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  Woody endorses Dalai's workaround for speeding up Windows Update for both Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP2 users.

I'm not sure what diagnostic you ran that told you that your Windows Activation Technologies Service (watadminsvc.exe) is missing from your computer or if you're just receiving a pop-up warning that your Windows Product ID is invalid.  This might indicate that a problem occurred during your factory reset, but try Dalai's suggested workaround and see if the warning clears itself once you are able to run Windows Update again and patch your system.

EDIT:

... and watch out for those optional GWX (Get Windows 10) updates that might try to upgrade you to Win 10 when you manage to get Windows Update working again. :angry:

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.1 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 20 August 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#8 cryss962

cryss962
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

The 8024402C error was from the Microsoft Windows Update not the Microsoft Fixit Tool. 

And Yes I did follow step 1 and disable Automatic updates and re-booted.

By First update, I meant the first update on the list KB3177725.

The changes I made to the TCP/IP settings, I went ahead and reverted them back to Automatically obtain address and windows updates is still working properly.  It let me know there was one optional update this morning within 3 minutes. 

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

The 8024402C error was from the Microsoft Windows Update not the Microsoft Fixit Tool.  And Yes I did follow step 1 and disable Automatic updates and re-booted.  By First update, I meant the first update on the list KB3177725.

The changes I made to the TCP/IP settings, I went ahead and reverted them back to Automatically obtain address and windows updates is still working properly.  It let me know there was one optional update this morning within 3 minutes. 

Hi cryss962:

Thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear Windows Update seems to be running normally again.  Unfortunately, Dalaia's workaround is only a temporary solution and you will likely see your "Checking for updates..." hang and high CPU consumption return next month when another batch of security updates is released for the September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates on 13-Sep-2016 (the second Tuesday of the month).  To avoid this problem, I've permanently disabled automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and I run a manual Windows Updates a few times a month just to see if any updates are pending. I wait a day or two after each Patch Tuesday, check Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/, and manually install the new Windows kernel-mode-driver (Win32K.sys) update added to his list of required updates before I run a manual Windows Update to install my remaining Patch Tuesday updates.

Most evidence suggests that the Windows Update Agent (WUA) v7.6.7600.256 for Vista at C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll is the Windows Update component responsible for these slow updates.  The WUA for Vista has not been updated since June 2012 and I don't think there will be a permanent solution to this problem unless Microsoft takes pity on us and releases a patch for the WUA before extended support for Vista ends on 11-Apr-2017.

------------

Edited by lmacri, 22 August 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#10 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

Fortunately, the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum will work for Win 7 SP1 as well as Vista SP2....

...You might find some useful hints in Microsoft MVP Woody Leonhard's 09-Aug-2016 entry on his Woody on Windows InfoWorld blog titled 2 easy steps to speed up Windows 7 Update scans that also includes detailed instructions for using Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  Woody endorses Dalai's workaround for speeding up Windows Update for both Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP2 users.

Hi sassylady2001:

Please note that the following comments only apply to Windows 7 SP1 users affected by "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates.

You might want to monitor the thread More problems with Windows 7 update taking forever on the AskWoody.com site.  MS MVP Woody Leonhard was previously recommending that Win 7 users avoid installing the optional KB3172605 (July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) because of a known conflict with Intel's Bluetooth drivers (see his 22-Jul-2016 InfoWorld blog Microsoft yanks buggy speed-up patch KB 3161608, replaces it with KB 3172605 and 3172614) and use Dalai's workaround instead.  However, a 30-Aug-2016 comment on his AskWoody.com site indicates that he is about to change that advice and recommend that users go ahead and try installing KB3172605.  He states:

"Right now, your best bet to speed up Win7 check for updates is Canadian Tech’s approach:"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c

This optional July 2016 KB3172605 monthly rollup for Win 7 bundled six different hotfixes, including KB3161647 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2).  This update is supposed to include "an optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers" and includes a new Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll) v7.6.7601.23453 that could be a permanent fix for slow Windows Updates for many Win 7 users.

For Vista SP2 users:

Sorry, there is no equivalent patch for the Vista SP2 Windows Update Agent (C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll).  We're still stuck with the old v7.6.7600.256 that hasn't been updated since June 2012, and I doubt that Microsoft has any plans to patch the WUA for Vista before our extended support ends on 11-Apr-2017. Dalai's workaround described in the 16-Jun-2016 post in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours still appears to be our best bet.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 30 August 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#11 sassylady2001

sassylady2001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

Hi sassylady2001:

Sadly, these "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates currently affect both Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 users, and I doubt it's a coincidence that Microsoft has ended mainstream support and only provides extended support (security updates only) for both these operating systems.  See the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet for more info.

Fortunately, the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum will work for Win 7 SP1 as well as Vista SP2.  When you reach Step # 4 of the instructions, just use the appropriate Win 7 links on Dalia's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ (i.e., Win 7 x64 if you have a 64-bit Win 7 OS; Win 7 x86 if you have a 32-bit Win 7 OS) to download the correct standalone update packages (.msu files) for the missing Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates on your system.

Those instructions assume that the SP1 service pack for Win 7 is already installed on your system.  Depending on date you purchased your computer, you might also find that all six Win32K.sys updates currently listed on Dalai's webpage are missing from your system and have to be manually installed because you performed a factory reset.  As of today (20-Aug-2016) that list of updates is KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3145739 (rel. 12-Apr-2016); KB3164033 (rel. 14-Jun-2016); KB3168965 (rel. 12-Jul-2016); KB3177725 (rel. 09-Aug-2016).

You might find some useful hints in Microsoft MVP Woody Leonhard's 09-Aug-2016 entry on his Woody on Windows InfoWorld blog titled 2 easy steps to speed up Windows 7 Update scans that also includes detailed instructions for using Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  Woody endorses Dalai's workaround for speeding up Windows Update for both Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP2 users.

I'm not sure what diagnostic you ran that told you that your Windows Activation Technologies Service (watadminsvc.exe) is missing from your computer or if you're just receiving a pop-up warning that your Windows Product ID is invalid.  This might indicate that a problem occurred during your factory reset, but try Dalai's suggested workaround and see if the warning clears itself once you are able to run Windows Update again and patch your system.

EDIT:

... and watch out for those optional GWX (Get Windows 10) updates that might try to upgrade you to Win 10 when you manage to get Windows Update working again. :angry:

------------

I looked for that file, wataadminsvc.exe after doing some research.  I do not believe my computer is able to validate that I have a valid Windows 7 license. One of my Windows 7 computers has the wataaminsvc.exe file and it and downloads updates; the other does not have it and won't download updates.  I understand that a virus could have destroyed the file.  But that was in March 2016 and 2 factory restores ago and 20 different fix attempts.  I'm over this problem - bought another computer same brand and model, etc. off auction site for $175 and it downloads the updates just fine.  Thank you for responding.

#12 sassylady2001

sassylady2001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

Fortunately, the step-by-step instructions posted 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum will work for Win 7 SP1 as well as Vista SP2....

...You might find some useful hints in Microsoft MVP Woody Leonhard's 09-Aug-2016 entry on his Woody on Windows InfoWorld blog titled 2 easy steps to speed up Windows 7 Update scans that also includes detailed instructions for using Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/.  Woody endorses Dalai's workaround for speeding up Windows Update for both Win 7 SP1 and Vista SP2 users.

Hi sassylady2001:

Please note that the following comments only apply to Windows 7 SP1 users affected by "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates.

You might want to monitor the thread More problems with Windows 7 update taking forever on the AskWoody.com site.  MS MVP Woody Leonhard was previously recommending that Win 7 users avoid installing the optional KB3172605 (July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) because of a known conflict with Intel's Bluetooth drivers (see his 22-Jul-2016 InfoWorld blog Microsoft yanks buggy speed-up patch KB 3161608, replaces it with KB 3172605 and 3172614) and use Dalai's workaround instead.  However, a 30-Aug-2016 comment on his AskWoody.com site indicates that he is about to change that advice and recommend that users go ahead and try installing KB3172605.  He states:

"Right now, your best bet to speed up Win7 check for updates is Canadian Tech’s approach:"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-solution/f39a65fa-9d10-42e7-9bc0-7f5096b36d0c

This optional July 2016 KB3172605 monthly rollup for Win 7 bundled six different hotfixes, including KB3161647 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2).  This update is supposed to include "an optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers" and includes a new Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll) v7.6.7601.23453 that could be a permanent fix for slow Windows Updates for many Win 7 users.

For Vista SP2 users:

Sorry, there is no equivalent patch for the Vista SP2 Windows Update Agent (C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll).  We're still stuck with the old v7.6.7600.256 that hasn't been updated since June 2012, and I doubt that Microsoft has any plans to patch the WUA for Vista before our extended support ends on 11-Apr-2017. Dalai's workaround described in the 16-Jun-2016 post in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours still appears to be our best bet.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Thank you for responding and for your time.  I have already tried this - it doesn't work for me.  Thank you for responding and your time.  I gave up after working on the issue since March 2016 and purchased a used computer, same brand, same model with Windows 7, SP1 off an auction site.  It downloads the updates without any problem.  So will use the old non-updating computer for playing videos, movies, etc. off a flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users