Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Upgraded - idles at 50%

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 angry@computers

angry@computers

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Hi,

I own a Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop - 4GB RAM - Pentium ® Dual-Core T4500  2.30Ghz. I Upgraded the CPU for a T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. However...

The laptop booted up fine after the install, but I immediately noticed that the fan would kick in every few minutes, and would then run constantly. After closing my applications/programs I opened the Task Manager and I could see the CPU was running at 50%. I did a reboot, and without opening any applications it was still idling at 50%. I have since put back in my old CPU, which idles at around 4%. 

Is there anything that can be done so I can utilise the T9300 CPU without having the fan constantly running?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

What OS are you using?

If Win 7 (or Vista for that matter) , maybe just by chance, while you had the T9300 fitted, it got stuck with the slow updating bug, which pegs a dual core CPU at 50%, and it was resolved by the time you fired up again with the T4500?

Edited by Platypus, 18 August 2016 - 08:20 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

What process uses 50% CPU?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

angry@computers,

When it gets stuck for long periods, usually look for wuauserv, that indicates Windows Update is the culprit.

For shorter durations after the success of updating it can be TrustedInstaller, then after a while it settles down.

Unfortunately angry@computers would need to re-install the T9300 to find out if it's still doing it or not, and if it has settled down, maybe we'd just have to assume that's probably what it was.

Edited by Platypus, 18 August 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#5 angry@computers

angry@computers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hi, yes, Im using Windows 7.

The biggest user of CPU seems to be svchost.exe (netsvcs).

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

wuauserv is in the netsvcs group. How is the system configured and behaving at the moment?

#7 angry@computers

angry@computers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Oddly enough, with the original CPU, after opening Google Chrome, the CPU jumps up from idling at about 4% to 50 - 60%, and then stays there after I close it. It only goes back to the 4% idle after reboot.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

In Task Manager, start the Resource manager and expand Services to find wuauserv and see if it is the service hogging the CPU cycles. If it is, it's slow updating. I had to leave my church's computer online overnight last week to do the August update. Until it got it done it was pegged at 50% CPU usage, and like you've found, if you reboot it drops to normal. But at some point it will decide to check updates again and bang, 50% or more CPU, depending on what else is running.

#9 angry@computers

angry@computers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:07 AM

It definitely has something to do with windows update. It hasn't even been updating, but it is still running at 50%. So I disabled windows update, and now with google chrome with 7 pages open, with word running, it idles at 1%.

#10 angry@computers

angry@computers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:20 AM

I should add, that before this, I have not been receiving any updates for quite a while.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,459 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

There can be quite a bit to getting a borked Windows Update working, you'll find a lot of discussion regarding the problem in the Windows 7 forum & of course across the internet. For example a possible resolution procedure is suggested here by JohnC_21:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623310/windows-update-sits-at-0/?p=4063397

Depending how long it is since your system has received updates, much of what John refers to may be lacking on your system.

Edited by Platypus, 19 August 2016 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users