Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Internet Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kranmar

Kranmar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:38 AM

I'm going to try and give as many details as I can. Please bear with me, I'm definitely an amateur with computers. I bought the basic HP Pavilion refurbished from Amazon around Thanksgiving last year. It came with Win8. Around February I took the free Win 10 upgrade. I have had no issues or problems at all. Monday everything was fine. Tuesday, out of nowhere, I turn on the comp and no internet. Wifi connection to the router is fine, but no internet. I rebooted the router. I tried forgetting my network and reconnecting. I turned off the firewall. I tried netsh commands to reset IP. Nothing has worked. I have no virus software like Norton. Just the basic one that came with the comp. I don't surf the web, do online banking or shopping on this comp. It is strictly for games. Every diagnostic I've run tells me the issue is with the router. Yet all my other devices are fine. If I can't figure this out, I'll just hardwire the thing. I'm trying to avoid that as this area of the house is not wired and would cost me. I just am befuddled at how this just happened out of nowhere. Any help or advice would be immensely appreciated. Please keep in mind I'm an amateur. Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 August 2016 - 10:31 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

Laptop or desktop?
It sounds as if there could be something wrong with your wireless adapter.
If that is the case, you could run wire to the area which will cost you OR purchase a USB wireless adapter, which will not cost as much as the wiring.
Examples of USB adapters HERE

Hopefully someone else will reply with things you can try.

#3 Kranmar

Kranmar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

It's a desktop. I appreciate the advice, I'm going to purchase one and hope that helps. I just want to clarify that I do connect to my router, but not the Internet. Could the wireless adapter still be the problem?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

I suppose it is possible.

I am not a networking guru. All I wanted to do was give you an alternative to costly wiring if it is indeed your wireless adapter.

And I did say "it sounds as if something could be wrong". I could have clarified and said "To me it sounds as if something could be wrong with your wireless adapter". That is the first thing I thought of.

#5 Kranmar

Kranmar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

Thank You! That was it. Wireless adapter. Bought one for 12 bucks from Amazon and it worked. Thanks again.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

I'm glad you got the issue resolved.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

I am seeing so many issues with people upgrading laptops to Windows 10 and the manufacture not having windows 10 drivers for the wireless adapter. Specailly true for more value based models that use Atheros chip sets.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

For me, I focused on REFURBISHED. While refurbished systems get tested to make sure they work, there could have been something wrong no one caught or since it was used previously the adapter, if it was working, finally wore out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users