Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't perform an Windows 7 Upgrade repair install

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 markbarn

markbarn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hi All,

Having a problem, the one of our PCs is caught in an infinite boot loop so can't get into windows to try and run the upgrade from inside Windows.

When I try to actually do the repair install using the disk, just get the following message

"The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. [Do not select | Custom [advanced]| to perform an upgrade." ...

I've spent the best part of 24 hours trying to resolve this.

So far I've tried scanning using sfc /scannow /offbootdir=[DRIVELETTER]:\ /offwindir=[DRIVELETTER]:\windows

I've checked and rebuilt the boot record in case that might have been the issue

I'm trying to avoid a clean install which would have cured everything in about 30 mins, but we've a programme on there which we have to keep or else we face a really expensive bill for the software to be reinstalled by it's developers.

The last back up I have doesn't have the latest updates to the software either.

Is this fatal or is there a way round it?

I apologise if this doesn't make much sense either, sorry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users