Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Expanding or moving windows in the recovery hard disc which is now drive (C:)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yoshirou

Yoshirou

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

Hello, The reason I created this topic is because I recently upgraded my Win 10 Pro x86 to the 64 bit version, but windows encountered an error when I tryed to upgrade so I had to clean install, I didnt want my files in my C drive to go missing so I formatted my D recovery drive and installed windows there, problem is, it only had 14GB of disc space, when I rebooted my pc and opedned file manager, the recovery drive turned into my C drive and my C drive turned into my D drive, I changed where things install to the D drive but I cant stop worrying about the small space in the C drive, is there any way I can either move windows to my D drive or is there a way I can allocate more disc space to the C drive, on second thought that last part sounds impossible but its still worth asking, thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

You can use Disk Management to reallocate disk space.

There are also free and pay-for tools that will help you do this.

More info with this google search:  https://www.google.com/search?q=reallocate+disk+space+windows+10&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Yoshirou

Yoshirou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

Thanks i'll give this a go :D

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:07 PM

When installing a Windows operating system (OS) on a hard drive, and if you use Windows Setup to create new partition on an MBR disk, Windows will create a system reserved partition, and if it is a GPT disk, then Windows will create a recovery partition and a EFI system partition without drive letter. The recovery partition on Windows 10 consumes about 450MB, Windows 8/8.1 200MB, and Windows 7 100MB. This recovery partition is to hold the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE), which can be explored if you manually assign a drive letter to it. If you delete this partition, you won’t be able to use Windows Recovery options. If you create Windows 10 recovery disk, Windows will give you an option to remove the recovery partition. With the recovery drive, you can still use Windows recovery options. Otherwise, if you install Windows on a hard drive containing multiple partitions, Windows will save the WinRE in a folder named Recovery in the root directory of your system drive (C: drive) without leaving a recovery partition.

Apart from the recovery partition of Windows, there may be another recovery partition created by the computer manufacturer like Lenovo and Dell that has made their computer come with an OEM recovery partition consuming about 7 to 20 GB, which contains the WinRE and their factory installation files. On some computers, the WinRE and the factory installation are separately stored on two partitions, so you may see two OEM partitions on your computer. This OEM partition allows you to press a specified key to boot into Recovery Environment, so you can recover your OS to factory setting without a Windows installation disc. If you have a copy of Windows installation, you can delete this OEM partition to free up more disk space.

The Recovery Partition After Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users