Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Name Changed By Itself?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 notaspammer

notaspammer

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:13 AM

Hi

It's just came to my attention that my network name has changed by itself.

Can anyone explain how this might have happened?

It currently shows "Prelude Ventures Limited (Realtek PCi FE, GB)". Before that, since as far back as I can remember, it just said "Network"

I have already logged into my router and there's nothing been added to make it change via that. My LT connection is hard-wired and I always have WI-FI disabled. No one else has physical access to it either, so I'm completely lost as to how it could've happened.

Thanks.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 August 2016 - 05:27 PM.
Moved from win 8/8.1 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

I would think the most likely cause of this is a firmware update.

And your statement that 'No one else has physical access' is not quite accurate. Your ISP has access to it as well, and their access is also hard-wired !  Failing a firmware upgrade I am at a loss to think of an explanation.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

Sounds like Network discovery is turned on and it's picking up the router's name or DNS suffix. Could have something to do if your VPN is on too.  Is your business called "Prelude Ventures Limited"? Was just 1 PC effected?

#4 notaspammer

notaspammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

Sounds like Network discovery is turned on and it's picking up the router's name or DNS suffix. Could have something to do if your VPN is on too.  Is your business called "Prelude Ventures Limited"? Was just 1 PC effected?

No Trikein. the business has absolutely nothing to do with me. I'm only using 1 LT. The VPN I use has remained the same. There's no description of it when I log into the router. Not sure if it's maybe got something to do with Avast.

I'm certain that Network Discovery is disabled too.

Edited by notaspammer, 24 August 2016 - 06:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users