Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start after Rx480 installation.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lfnikitafn

lfnikitafn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:57 AM

Just bought the card. It's a reference powercooler model. I knew it needed windows 7 with sp1 to install the drivers, so my first attempt at installing this thing I brought windows up to date(with wsus offline because windows update would bug and get stuck at searching). From here 1. Uninstalled old gpu drivers with catalyst uninstaller 2. Rebooted and it was good 3. Turned it off 4. Put the new card in and powered up. 5. Tried to install the new drivers from the disk included, but kept getting the message I had an incomplete build and the install was exited, so I tried a few more optional updates through windows installer... then after trying to reboot I kept getting a blue screen, and was unable to boot into safe mode, system restore points weren't showing up, and startup repair reported the problem couldn't be fixed. Tried several options, but in the end decided I had just corrupted windows and my only option was to reinstall. So I did...
I started with my old card in again since i have no way to hook up my monitor straight to my motherboard but without the drivers 1. Brought everything up to date again with windows (still through the newest version of wsus) Fine after reboot 2. Only installed the chipset drivers for my motherboard, internal usb hub, standard vga display drivers, just the basics, and the driver for my netgear Internet adapter. Again fine after reboot. 3. Put the new card in, powered on, and it took around ten minutes but windows did start up, so I thought it was just slow without the drivers. 4. Installed the drivers, rebooted. Now there's no blue screen, but windows got stuck at the black starting screen for 30 minutes before I gave up and restarted. I'm at the same place now, except instead of blue screens I just get stuck and can't do anything. Even trying to boot from my Windows install disk just took 40 mins. I'll try again to install and update one more time if I have to but am I missing something? I looked up my system and although it's old it looked like it was compatible. Specs are below, any help is appreciated... sorry to post so long but Im frustrated, ready to sell the thing on craigslist after 4 days of troubleshooting and I wanted to be clear about what I've done.

Specs (nothing is overclocked, and I'm not interested in that I just want it to run at default)
I7 930@ 2.88 quad core
12gigs of ram
700w power supply
Windows 7, upgraded to sp1
Motherboard gigabyte x58a-ud3r
And of course the cards... older one was a Radeon HD 5800, newer the rx480
Did I forget anything? It's late/early and I'm frazzled from doing absolutely nothing else til I get this figured out.

I know it's older, but like I said I looked it up... Temps are within norms, and as a late addon, I did disable avast during the first go, but the 2nd time I just let it install Microsoft essentials and forgot to disable that but could it really cause this much havoc. Ugh, thanks for your time.

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2016 - 02:22 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Which drivers where you using? The ones from the disc that came with the graphics card? If so, then try downloading from the AMD website the most current drivers and see if that changes anything.

Conversely, if you only tried the ones from the website, then try the ones on the disc that came with the graphics card instead.

That is the one thing that I can think to try.

#3 lfnikitafn

lfnikitafn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

The first attempt I tried the drivers from the disk, second attempt I did try the drivers from the website. This morning before to bed I tried one last time to boot up and it started like nothing was wrong... but after waking up later and trying again now it's doing a chkdsk at startup, said it deleted a corrupt attribute record. I don't understand that though, because when I have run chkdsk on the drive from another computer via a docking station it says it's fine.

#4 lfnikitafn

lfnikitafn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

Ahh, sorry I'm just now realizing I posted this in the wrong forum, any way to move it?

Mod Edit:  Moved to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2016 - 02:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users