Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web pages load extremely slowly or not at all ONLY on my laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:17 AM

Hello. 

I recently moved to a new apartment, and had Comcast Internet set up. This was a few weeks ago. 

Since day 1, I've been having troubles loading web pages. With regularity, my connection speed would seem to slow to a crawl, and pages would either load very slowly or not at all.  Most times (but now always)  No "no connection"  error will pop up on chrome, the pages just perpetually load. Then other times, things will load just time. It's about 50/50.

At first I assumed this was just horrible Comcast connection speeds, but I noticed that my phone would load things fine on WiFi alone even when my laptop was having trouble. My roommates have also had no problems on their laptops. In fact, my temporary solution to this problem has been to tether my phones WiFi connection through my laptop whenever I'm having problems, and this has worked always. 

So the problem seems to be rooted to my laptop. The sporadic nature of the issues has made it tough to troubleshoot, but I've learned that when the issue appears ...

1. I cannot ping any websites
2. the issue happens across all browsers
3. The built-in windows network troubleshooter detects no issues

I am running Windows 10 on my HP Envy m6 sleekbook. 

I should also note that I've recently had an issue in the dealt with in the "Am I infected, what do I do?" forum here, and in doing so ran several malware scanners/removal programs all which came back clean by the end, so I do not believe it is a virus issue.

What to do.

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2016 - 08:59 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:48 AM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking and seeing if anything changes?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If it does, then there is likely some third party program causing issues.

Also, are you connecting by WiFi or Ethernet? If the former, have you tried connecting by Ethernet to see if that helps? This would help determine if it is a WiFi related issue.

#3 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

I'll try those steps tonight, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users