Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Defender Get Updates?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt B

Matt B

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:01 PM

I was wondering if Defender recieves updates or if there was a site in Microsoft where you can download them.

Spyware Doctor tells me that theres still tons of stuff in my computer (it only TELLS me, I have to buy it to fix it). And Defender scans the entire computer and finds nothing. I feel like its a waste of time when I use it.

Is there a place where I can find updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

Windows Defender is a horrible spyware detector, it doenst even work. Dont bother looking for updates for it just delete its a waste of spaace on your pc. If i were you i would get ad-aware and uninstall spyware doctor (that is if your not going to pay for it) and just download ad-aware its free and very powerful! you can get it here:

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...tml?tag=lst-0-1

HAVE FUN :thumbsup:

Edited by zemoman, 16 August 2006 - 01:15 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:21 PM

Windows Defender 2 updates automatically or you can do it manually. Open Defender and at top of home page is a ? which has an arrowhead next to it. Click on arrowhead and select about window defender and you will see an update button on bottom of window. Spyware Doctor is an excellent program but as you have discovered will not remove what it finds in the free scan. Suggest you also run Ewido which is free and will remove what it finds.

http://www.ewido.net/en/

Edited by buddy215, 16 August 2006 - 01:25 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

Windows Defender is only in Beta stage so its not quite finished yet. It does update quite frequently, i receive updates pretty often.

Although it is still in Beta stage, it did infact find an item or two on my system a few months back that other software didnt, these were not false positives but actual problems, which made eradicating the problem simple,so i was pretty glad to have Defender installed. It is up to you if you wish to remove it or not. I still have it, and will continue to use it.

I do advise on using Ewido and Ad-Aware along with Spybot for good protection also. It maybe that Spyware Doctor is displaying false positives if its finding so much stuff, but likewise they may be actual problematic Spyware, so if you scan with the products mentioned above, you get a good idea. Scan using each of them in 'Safe mode' as the results will be more legitimate, then let us know how it goes.

To scan in 'Safe Mode', when you first load up your PC, immediately press the F8 key and select 'Safe Mode' from the submenu.

Edited by graveangel, 16 August 2006 - 01:55 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 Matt B

Matt B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

In this topic,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/62381/running-out-of-options-need-help-please/

I posted all of the programs/batches/etc that I have been using. Defender does work, its just that it looks only for the obvious. Im going thru the process of posting a HJT log right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users