Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will scanning your laptop too often wear out your hard disk?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

I've gotten too paranoid over malware these past few months, so I run a threat scan with MBAM about twice or thrice a week. Recently, I heard someone say that scanning your computer too often will slowly wear out your hard disk. Now, I've stopped scanning my laptop too often and only run a quick scan with Microsoft Security Essentials occasionally. I'm mainly looking for an answer about the hardware side of the problem — not the security side.

Thank you very much!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

Your hard drive slowly wears out anyway (they have a finite if uncertain lifespan) but I don't think doing a scan with anti virus software a few times a week will noticeably add to the wear.  It's not excessive, some AV programs automatically run scans at least once a day.  While you are using your computer it will be fairly constantly doing small reads and writes to the disk, e.g. caching web pages.  So in summary, I wouldn't worry about it.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for your reply! So I guess an hour of scanning every few days won't do too much harm …

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Malware scans should be reads, not writes, so there shouldn't be much issue, other than possible heating up of the drive due to extended use.

#5 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

There is no harm in scanning, whatever eats your zone. As mentioned, hard drives wear over time due to the drives constantly being on and spinning (HDD). Keeping your computer protected is huge, and adding a daily scan you want to monitor won't hurt it anymore than everyday use!

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

Malware scans should be reads, not writes, so there shouldn't be much issue, other than possible heating up of the drive due to extended use.

Good point. MBAM takes up a lot of CPU — around 30+. That isn't bad too right?

There is no harm in scanning, whatever eats your zone. As mentioned, hard drives wear over time due to the drives constantly being on and spinning (HDD). Keeping your computer protected is huge, and adding a daily scan you want to monitor won't hurt it anymore than everyday use!

Thanks for your reply.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

I do 4-5 scans during the week, so I thin you're fine with what you're doing!  Now, if your laptop is getting a little too warm from your normal day-to-day use, consider buying and using a usb-powered external cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans] -- such really help keep my laptop temps down.  They still get warm, but rarely get hot.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 August 2016 - 02:15 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

I do 4-5 scans during the week, you're fine!  Now, if your laptop is getting a little too warm from your normal day-to-day use, consider buying and using a usb-powered external cooling assembly [one giant fan or twin fans] -- such really help keep my laptop temps down.  They still get warm, but rarely get hot.

Maybe I should? SpeedFan is currently reporting my HD temperature as 46°C. "Temp 1" is 52, and "Core 0" and "Core 1" is 51°C. All of them have a red fire next to them. I think Temp 1, Core 0, and Core 1 are the processor temperatures. CPU around 10%. Is that too hot for a Pentium?

#9 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

CPU Temps should not exceed 45c otherwise it can ccatch fire. The red fire is that exact indication. Normal temps are 30-40, maybe 42 for overclocking and gaming. Some also drop to 28 if it's an unreal cooling system.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:21 AM

Yes, definitely get that cooling assembly soon.  Both of my laptops have their cooling assemblies, again, they can get quite warm during double backups, however, they rarely get hot in the proc corner.

And, since we're talking about "hard-drive thrashing" possibilities, perhaps a new thread will be needed concerning the constant monitoring of and the constant backing up of each and every folder and file change via NAS or whatever 24/7 while the computer is on -- that I've heard about across The 'Net, not in this thread, but across The 'Net.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 August 2016 - 02:22 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

Before I consider purchasing a cooling assembly, I need to make sure SpeedFan is reporting the correct temperature. My Toshiba PC Health Monitor claims that the CPU temperature is 45% whatever that means. Does anyone know an alternative to SpeedFan that DOES NOT come with PUPs, and other malware?

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

Before I consider purchasing a cooling assembly...

Go ahead and get a $15-20 cooling assembly   :)   Trust me, your laptop will be glad you did!

And, yes, there are other utilities out there that will monitor temps, however, I cannot remember which ones are PUP or "extras" free.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 August 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

Before I consider purchasing a cooling assembly...

Go ahead and get a $15-20 cooling assembly   :)   Trust me, your laptop will be glad you did!

And, yes, there are other utilities out there that will monitor temps, however, I cannot remember which ones are PUP or "extras" free.

You are right! When I try to play classical music from YouTube, the CPU is about 30%. That causes the temperature to go up to 57°C at times! 85°C is the limit for my Pentium.

Do you have any recommendations? I always keep the laptop in a case when not in use, so I need something that's easily removable.

Thanks.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

I don't know the stores in your area.  Take your laptop case along.  You might be able to find a cooling assembly that will be thin enough to fit in with your laptop.  It might be necessary to do like I do with my traveling cooling assembly - put it in a separate cheap case.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users