Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Tosh. SatelliteRadius4K I buy have exact same display as in 2015 reviews?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lee_M

Lee_M

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hello [my first-ever post...]--

I'm planning to buy a Toshiba Satellite Radius 4K, based on reviews I've read that were written in Sept. and Oct. 2015. I want to make sure its display will be the same one it had at the time of the reviews -- not just that it's 4K, but that it's the same particular display. I don't have a reason to think Toshiba has changed the display since then, but please look at the following and let me know if I can go about acquiring a Satellite Radius 4K with confidence that it will have the display that was reviewed.
  • Laptopmag review (Sept. 2015) calls the reviewed machine "P55 4K (2015)" (I imagine the "2015" was added later, but I don't know). It also calls it "P55-C5212."
  • PC Mag. review (Oct. 2015) also calls it "P55-C5212" (and refers to it as a Best Buy exclusive, by the way).
  • Currently on Amazon (no Satellites were offered on the Toshiba website, last I looked), there are two items that may both be the machine I'm looking for. Neither has the exact number P55-C5212.
    • One Amazon listing calls it "2016 Newest Toshiba Satellite Radius 2-in-1 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touchscreen Flagship Laptop" and "P55W 4K." The display is described in one place as, "15.6" 4K Ultra HD 10-point multitouch LCD for hands-on navigation - TruBrite technology" and in another place as "15.6" 4K Ultra HD 3840x2160 TruBrite LED-backlit IPS Touchscreen Display." Note LCD vs. LED. (Or can a display be LCD, but LED-backlit? I am tech-ignorant.). 3840x2160 is the resolution specified in the 2015 reviews.
    • The other Amazon listing calls it "Toshiba - Satellite Radius 2-in-1 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Laptop" and "P55W-C5316-4K." The display is described as "15.6" 4K Ultra HD 10-point multitouch LCD." The numerical resolution is not specified.
Can I be confident that one or both of these listings are offering what I'm looking for? 

Each of these listings has multiple sellers to choose from. If there is in fact a difference in terms of display between the Radius 4K's offered under one listing and the ones offered under the other listing, can I really be confident that all the sellers listed their machines under the correct listing?

While I have your attention: I plan to use a separate keyboard and a mouse (both preferably wireless) with this laptop. Should there be any problem with that?

Thanks!
Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

The reason you could not find it on Toshiba's laptop is because they decided to stop making "consumer level" laptops:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/laptops/toshiba-we-re-stopping-making-consumer-laptops-1318014

The Toshiba Satellite was a consumer level laptop. So, they are not made anymore.

BTW, if the following link is to the review you are talking about, then the model number listed in the review is P55W-C5212 (you forgot the "W"):

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492690,00.asp

The best suggestion I can offer is to contact the seller and ask them what the full model number of computer that they are selling and then decide how much you will trust their answer. That is likely the best you can do with the fall back being Amazon's return policy (the one listing appears to be a Prime offering so that means that it it should fully be Amazon you are dealing with if you return it...at least that is how I understand it).

And a separate keyboard and mouse with any laptop will be zero problem as long as it has a USB port. And in this case, it appears that laptop model also supports Bluetooth, so you could also use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and not "waste" a USB port.

#3 Lee_M

Lee_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for your reply.

If I buy the laptop on Amazon and check its model number -- does its number need to match the number in the reviews right down to the "C5212" part?

BTW, I should have said it was the Laptopmag review that left out the "W." Since both of the Amazon listings include the "W" -- though neither includes "5212" -- I guess I just can't worry about Laptopmag leaving out the "W."

Does it make any difference which of those two Amazon listings I choose a seller from?

So the model number will be right on the computer itself somewhere?

Do you consider it very likely that Toshiba would have started putting out Radius 4K's with a different 4K display from the one it had at first?

I appreciate your help.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for your reply.

If I buy the laptop on Amazon and check its model number -- does its number need to match the number in the reviews right down to the "C5212" part?

While not a complete guarantee, matching the full model number is your best chance for it have the exact same display. It is still possible that Toshiba uses that same display on similar models, however. I really have no way of knowing.

BTW, I should have said it was the Laptopmag review that left out the "W." Since both of the Amazon listings include the "W" -- though neither includes "5212" -- I guess I just can't worry about Laptopmag leaving out the "W."

Does it make any difference which of those two Amazon listings I choose a seller from?

I would tend to suggest picking one fulfilled by Amazon (i.e. Amazon has it in their warehouse and will ship it even if sold by a third party...usually easy to pick out because it will be Amazon Prime eligible). Going this route means that it is Amazon that will handle the return. If not fulfilled by Amazon, then you purely dealing with the seller about whether or not they will accept a return.

So the model number will be right on the computer itself somewhere?

I would assume so. Any computer will have a model number. The questions is whether it will have that same full model number in an easy to find place or something more simplified. I just done know how Toshiba does there model numbers. As an example from another company, HP will typical have some more generic model number that is very obvious (kind of like a "series" model), but then might have something much more specific to really different it in terms of specific specifications (i.e. a like a specific model number in the series). The first is typically very easy to see, but the second usually still is somewhere in "fine print" on the computer.

The specific model number is also usually somewhere on the box of most computers, usually on a bar code label.

Do you consider it very likely that Toshiba would have started putting out Radius 4K's with a different 4K display from the one it had at first?

I appreciate your help.

I have no idea. Odds are pretty good that if it has the full model number listed in the review that it will have the display you want. But, if it was a very popular model and they made a lot of them, it is possible that they might have have needed two suppliers of LCD panels. If so, then it is always possible that you could technically get a different panel than what the machine tested in the review had. Even if that happens, however, typically they will perform pretty much similar as Toshiba would have some minimum standard for the panels. I do, however, believe that Toshiba was/is a manufacturer of LCD panels. If so, then they likely used their own panels.

The only person who might be able to close to really answering your question would be someone with Toshiba and even then I am not sure if you could get a question like that answered nor completely trust that answer.

At the end of the day, you are going to have to decide if you consider it worth the risk.

And factor is that you are reading reviews of what other people saw and experienced. Thus, you have no direct experience testing/reviewing the computer with that screen yourself. So, in reality, you would never have any real way to tell if the screen on the model that you bought was the same as the review unit even if you bought the computer days after the review was published...unless they had taken apart the review computer to see the part number of the screen and your took apart your computer to see the part number of the screen...and even then sometimes companies will sources parts from multiple manufacturers but give them the same parts.

The point is that I have to admit that you might just be making a mountain out of a mole hill as the saying goes. In reality, the best you are likely to be able to do is take the risk (especially if the full model number supposedly matches), order the computer, and see if the screen meets your expectations (although at this point, I cannot help but believe that your expectation might potentially be bit on the unrealistic side if you are that worried about getting the exact same screen). If it does not, then you can always return it if you are utterly disappointed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users