Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton - Outbound traffic detected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daredevil1966

daredevil1966

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Suddenly, last week, I started getting a Norton popup telling me to run Power Eraser because it's detected a large amount of suspicious outbound traffic. I ran Power Eraser, but it found nothing. I also did a full system scan and found nothing.

I am a pretty savvy computer user, but I could use some help with this one please.

Thanks!
DD

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 August 2016 - 07:21 PM.
moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

I don't know Norton anything, but me thinks that to get a response here, you need to give a bit more information, such as:
What Norton product?
On what computer? which Windows system?
Can you list some examples of those detections?
What applications?
To what IP?
etc

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:03 PM

My respectful suggestion you may not like: get rid of Norton. Lately they have tried to make it better, but it is a resource hog, bloatware, and slows the computer. It does not protect you any better than several free AVs, and maybe not as much. At work we were all running Norton, and I was taking viruses off computers all the time.

Alternative free options: Panda free, Avira free. They have nag screens, but the annoyance is minor compared with the superior protection and "0" cost. There are others, just Google around.

If you need a good free firewall, you won't do better than Private Firewall and Zone Alarm. In addition to being low on system resources, they allow you to custom-block outbound and inbound with an easy-to-use GUI. That gives you a lot of power. In addition, if you are running Windows Firewall on W7 and later, it is a pretty good firewall. You can block individual outbound sends but it is a bit of a pain. As a side thought, avoid Comodo. It used to be one of the top free firewalls, but Comodo has bloated itself to the point of being a pain at best, and a menace at worse. Plus they are currently attempting to push their "Geekbuddy" pay-for-use and their own "Dragon" browser, as well as the firewall really acts like an AV program.

Just a thought...

[EDIT]: Good grief, I just looked at the OP date. I really have to remember to check that before I post.

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 September 2016 - 11:11 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

Additionally, Glasswire is VERY user-friendly at allowing folks to quickly identify which applications are causing said connections, and, to which countries assorted connections are to, etc....

Also a piece of cake (a single click!) to quickly block anything suspicious! (i.e., a suspicious connection to China, DPRK, Ukraine, etc....)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users