Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Reinstall a Fresh Copy of Windows from Online

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

My computer has been doing a wide range of strange behaviors since reinstalling about two months ago.  For one, I system restore function doesn't work.  Task Manager usually takes quite a few  hits to start up.  Some of my programs suddenly start acting up, malfunction.  I've been in touch with the software tech support for one of my most important programs and they can't find any reason why I'm having problems with their product.  I've tried reinstalling it, too.  Just today I tried to create a PDF file with Corel Fusion (legal, paid for version) and it won't create the PDF.  I tried uninstalling the program to install an updated version and I can't uninstall it through Control Panel/Programs and Features.  I've had failures in installing software.  Recently I've had freezes/slowness resizing photos in my photo editing program.  I checked usage and the reason for this is the procedure maxes out my RAM. I only have 4GB but as I said, I've never had these sorts of problems before...and this slowness just started up suddenly a short while back.   I've been using this program for decades on various computers and never had this problem.  I've been using this program with no issues on this computer for a few years.

My AV (Webroot) and MalwareBytes finds nothing.

I don't want to waste time trying to find malware.  I have a copy of Windows 7 in a partition on my hard drive.  However, I would rather reinstall from a different source, like Microsoft.  I have a legal Windows number.  Is there a way to reinstall directly from Microsoft?  

I checked in Device Manager and there aren't any yellow question marks.

This afternoon I ran diskchk.  What I really want is to make sure these problems aren't caused by my computer.  Running Diskchck didn't give me a report, so I don't know if it found any issues.

How do I make sure my computer is functioning properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunnerone

gunnerone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hi, yes it is possible to download and reinstall Windows from online.  On the Microsoft Software Recovery Website you can enter your product key and download Windows.  From here you can burn it to a DVD.  I'd suggest doing this on a different computer if you can.

A couple more ideas.  I'd suggest testing your hard drive.  Most hard drive manufacturers provide a test program you can download from their website.  You could also try testing your RAM.  You can download Memtest86+ here and install it to a DVD or USB drive.

#3 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

If you havent already reinstalled, I suggest doing an SFC scan first.

You can do this by:

1. Opening Command Prompt as an Administrator

2. Type in the Command Prompt "sfc /scannow"

3. Wait until the scan is done. This can take a while, just wait.

4. After the scan, it will tell you if any of your system files are corrupt, and will fix them if they are.

Please notify me of the results of this scan, and if it fixes your issues or not.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

If this is a OEM computer you will not be able to use the Microsoft Windows 7 ISO image to create installation media.  This is for retail copies of Windows only.  Unfortunately last year Microsoft removed all of the Digital River ISO downloads in order to "protect" their product, so you don't have a legal ISO image download available anymore.

If this is a OEM computer your may have a System Recovery partition which you can use to essentially reinstall the operating system.  This will revert the operating system to the condition it was in when the computer was first started.

If this is a OEM computer, what is the make and model?

As Voidz suggested, you can run sfc /scannow.  

You will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt a administrator account.

To open the Command Prompt typs cmd in the Search box in the start menu.  This will appear above the search box, right click on it and select Run as admonistrator from the menu that opens.

When the Command Prompt open copy and past sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to run it.

If you receive the message "no integrity issues were found" no corrupt files were found.  If corrupt files which could not be repaired are found post the CBS log in your topic.

Open the command prompt and copy and paste the command below followed by pressing Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.  Double click on this icon to open 
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

This log may be too large to post it in your topic.  If this is the case, use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can use the 30 day free trial to post the log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

This is an OEM Lenovo laptop. I've had it for three years.  Unbeknownst to me when I bought it a hinge in the case was cracked and over a few months the screen would no longer stay in place.  I had a repair guy fix it.  He found a used casing and I no longer have the official Windows sticker.  It also listed the model of his computer.

It's a Lenovo laptop but I am not sure of the model.  That was also on the sticker.  It might be a G570?  It's a lower end model.

It does have a partition but I want to install the OS from an outside source.  I have considered a new computer but am having a rough time finding an affordable laptop with Windows 7 installed.  I do not want Windows 10.

Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

The cheap answer is to buy a System Builder version of Win 7...and install it.  That wipes out all existing partitions, gives you a valid Window license, and provides media for future reinstalltion, if such is needed/desired.

Alternatively...you can purchase a refurb laptop with Win 7 preinstalled (along with typical OEM bloatware).

Win 7 Available

Some Refurbs Available

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

Open Disk Management and make a screen shot of it and post it in your topic.  I will provide instructions below.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

This is no longer relevant.  I am having so many problems with this computer I am going to dump it and get a new one.  After posting this originally, I started having even more problems with this laptop and it isn't worth fixing.  I'm thinking new computer.  Thanks for your help here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users