Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temperature running so hot !!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 super saint

super saint

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:59 PM

Hi

Tried to start playing the new Tomb Raider but stopped after hearing PC trying to take off ... checked temperature using CPUID & CPU was over 80 degrees!!!!

I have attached the data from CPUID - this is after PC has been sat unused for a along period.

My spec is:

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511
3.50 gigahertz AMD FX -6300 Six-Core
288 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (3 total)
Hyper-threaded (6 total)
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 Rev X.0x
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series [Display adapter]

The cooler on the FX-6300 is stock.

What can I do to stop the PC from combusting in a ball of flames??

New cooler?? Anything else??

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

Edited by super saint, 17 August 2016 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:48 AM

First, a dumb question...80 degrees...Celsius or Fahrenheit? If the former, then there are issues...if the latter, then there is no problem. I am assuming the former, but thought I would double check.

This thread might help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2066487/max-temperature-amd-6300-handle.html

From that thread, I get the impression that the temperature where the system will throttle/shut down would be in the mid to high 60s (Celsius) for that processor. Assuming that is the case, it sounds like the 80 degree temperature is inaccurate (again assuming Celsius).

It sounds like you might want to make use of AMD Overdrive to monitor temperatures/thermal margins, but I admit that I am not very experienced with AMD processors (only really used Intel processors in my builds).

#3 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

Hi- I'm callum, I myself use an AMD processor and can tell you, sometimes third party CPU temperature monitors are innaccurate. I recommend downloading AMD overdrive and taking a look at the Thermal Margin ( This is the temperature where the CPU will start throttling itself to keep itself cool), the higher this number is the better!

If AMD Overdrive still points at high temperatures, then how long have how had your PC/ how long has i been since you cleaned your PC out? I suggest cleaning your PC with canned air and a paintbrush to get the dust out. Make sure to wear ESD precautions when you open up your PC as ESD can cause some serious damage. When you're inside the PC, I also suggest that you reseat the heatsink and CPU, making sure to wipe off the old thermal paste, this can be done by cleaning it with a paper towel that is slightly wettened by high purity isopropyl alcohol . After you wipe off the old thermal paste, make sure to re apply thermal paste.

EDIT: If you're unfamiliar with cleaning the inside of your PC, I suggest reading/following this guide. http://www.howtogeek.com/72716/how-to-thoroughly-clean-your-dirty-desktop-computer/

If you've done all of this, then I suggest you look at where your computer is. Make sure it has enough space away from your wall/desk to be able to blow the hot air out of it.

I'm thinking that you will just need to clean it out if it has been sitting there unused, it will most likely have collected dust. 

Let me know if this worked for you.

Edited by Voidz, 19 August 2016 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users