Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does this say about my hardware, if anything?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

On my Lenovo X201 Tablet laptop 4GB Ram, Win 10, Chrome, 12Kb/sec internet speed, when I click on something to open a website I almost always get the message that 'This site cannot be reached' and a note about the DNS server couldn't be found.

However this is not really a big a problem as after some seconds websites open. Does this indicate that some hardware is under performing or is there another explanation? Any advice please.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 17 August 2016 - 05:58 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

12Kb/sec internet speed

Did you mean 12kbps or 12 Mbps ?  12 kbps would be very slow and a sufficient explanation in itself. 12 Mbps would be reasonably fast and should not be causing these problems.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

I will assume you are testing with wifi.  Have you tried a wired connection?

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Oh yes 12 Mbps whoops!  Yes this slowness happens with ethernet cable and wireless. 

Also very very often on all 3 of my computers (2 oldies) when opening Gmail inbox I get the message in a yellowish background, just below the folder list on the left, 'Something's not right' - Google is trying to connect or some such thing.  Then I have to wait for some varying time to correct itself. Perhaps Google is just very busy at those times?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

This will sound strange, however, is the computer, Windows, desktop allowed to come to "parade rest"?  What I do over here is allow hardware and software to fully come online, the desktop displays icons and gadgets; taskbar displays all of its normal day-to-day icons, taskbar's icon notification tray has all of its normal day-to-day icons displayed -- before I launch browsers and whatever else.  I have found out if I "rush things" sometimes the internet connectivity is not "ready yet", my normal background running stuff is not "ready yet", and so on.  This may not apply to you at all, however, give it a few moments of thought and let me know whatchathink.   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 18 August 2016 - 08:31 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

post the results of a speedtest.net test.

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

Speedtest gives 11.65 Mbps and Fast.com gives 11.  These are the usual day to day results I get.

Roland JS - That is a point I'll keep in mind in future to see what is my habit when staring up - thanks for the tip. Mostly I do start from Hibernate if that's relevant.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

Tests look good

Actually that is relevant.  Some hardwares don't start up well from sleep/hibernate. Turn off and on to see if there is a difference

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

when opening Gmail inbox I get the message in a yellowish background, just below the folder list on the left, 'Something's not right' - Google is trying to connect or some such thing.  Then I have to wait for some varying time to correct itself. Perhaps Google is just very busy at those times?

Next time that happens, try pressing CTRL + F5. That reopens connections that were disconnected when idle. It seems you have somewhat low throughput from your ISP, and Gmail's newer inbox takes up a bit more bandwidth. If things don't shut down when idle, it will take speed away from the rest of your network. If you like to leave a gmail window open all the time, try the Basic HTML version here.

#10 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

Trikein - CTRL + 5 - I'll try that. I have resorted to HTML on occasion.

Now re my ISP thruput etc. - I and my friend share our router and ISP. My laptop is an i7  and his is an i5 but uses Win7 and has never experienced any of these  glitches.  He does sit 5 feet from the router and I am one floor below about 30 feet away though my glitches happen when using the ethernet cable too.  Any info here?

Well this is rather just a niggling problem and not catastrophic but appreciate your time and all thoughts given - thanks.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

Tests look good.  actually that is relevant.  Some hardwares don't start up well from sleep/hibernate. Turn off and on to see if there is a difference

Actually, for my computers, it does not matter if it is a cold-powerUp/boot, a warm-Restart, a awakening of a Hiberation, or even from Sleep -- the difference was:  Windows OS and desktop and all of the tray was allowed to fully come to green, fully come online, before I opened up the browser[s] and/or whatever else I felt like opening up.  "Parade rest" also includes having all background running programs and utilities running normal before activating any foreground running stuff.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 August 2016 - 06:33 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#12 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:57 AM

Extra info which I should have mentioned before but slipped my memory as it has just reappeared.

Switching on wireless, after doing 1 hours work offline, and clicking on Gmail I got the message 'This site can't be reached' and under that it said 'The connection was reset'. Clicking on my wireless tray icon it said that 'Netgear Connected, secured' but still no connection.

Then hitting 'refresh' the emails appeared! I went thru many to delete but when clicking delete I got the message on top , 'Not connected. Connecting in 1 sec. Try now'. Trying now did nothing. So I switched off the wireless and connected my ethernet cable and all was well.

Does this mean my wireless card could be at fault?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

"...Does this mean my wireless card could be at fault?..."  It could be the wireless hardware and/or the wireless software at fault.  From within Control Panel --> Device Manager --> find the wireless adapter, remove the line or lines for that wireless.  Restart.  Give Windows time to rediscover the wireless adapter and to use the ethernet to go out and retrieve the drivers for it.

Also, using your ethernet, download, install, run both MiniToolBox and Piriform's Speccy, save all the logs, don't publish them [yet], others who are black belts in hardware [I am not one of them] may need to know exactly the manufacturer, model name & number of the wireless adapter.  Reason for posting this idea, personal example: my two Acer Aspire laptops can have one of the two available differing wireless adapters installed.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 August 2016 - 06:44 AM.

#14 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

I already have Speccy and now went to Minitoolbox but after selecting 'Problems only' for Devices and pressing Go nothing has happened!!

I also went to update wireless driver via Device manager but I already have the latest driver.

#15 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

Oh a Miniboxtool notepad log has just appeared!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users